bear mace for self defense legal?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > bear mace for self defense legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default bear mace for self defense legal?

Is it leagal to use for self defense?
Legal in California?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I dont know legal but it is actually less potent than the stuff for humans. Bears are more sensitive than people. I had one for people that was 17% and called Whoop Ass. No joke. I have the Kimber Pepper Blaster and it will work in rain or wind with no blow back. I believe it is 10% and I know some states restrict it to 10%.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You could go with wasp spray, the kind with the 20 foot stream. If anybody asks, just tell them you are allergic to wasps.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
You could go with wasp spray, the kind with the 20 foot stream. If anybody asks, just tell them you are allergic to wasps.
Good idea man but I think the smith & wesson spray is the best kind.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Bear deterrent spay is 2% OC. Would NOT be my first choice for use against a bad guy.

http://www.rei.com/product/722005/counter-assault-bear-deterrent-spray-102-oz

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The bear sprays have volume on their side, so you get a longer spray with more volume. But yeah, at 2% active ingredient concentration, bear spray might not have the knock down power that a 10% spray might have.

Bottom line, in California, just regular folks are essentially unable to protect themselves with reasonable measures, even pepper spray is limited to 2.5 oz and good luck getting a CCW permit in most areas.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1575 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 540

In MS to get a pepper spray permit part of the process is getting sprayed with pepper spray. The deputy that sprayed me used a low concentration spray. It burned enough that I didn't want to be sprayed again. For me to carry out an attack after someone sprayed me I would have to be really motivated. Like they killed a family member or something to that effect.

Here in NC anyone can get strong pepper spray without a permit. A drunk woman in a bar went nuts with a can of pepper spray. I was on the other side of the bar. My eyes were watering and I was pushing people out the door. A few people started coughing so badly they wouldn't move. I had no problem helping them out of the door.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato