Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Other Weapons (
-   -   Bean Bag Shotguns (

AlphaCat 07-24-2007 03:37 PM

Bean Bag Shotguns
Can I legally own a bean bag shotgun in Texas? I would like to be able to use it as a non-lethal weapon/deterrent against intruders. Would this be a useful weapon against intruders and how do you convert a shotgun to this?

robocop10mm 07-24-2007 09:32 PM

Bean bags
There is nothing in the Penal laws of Texas that prohibit bean bag rounds. There is nothing to do to convert a shotgun to fire bean bag rounds. Remember, you are shooting a weapon that is still considered deadly. Even with the bean bag rounds you would still have to justify using deadly force. Bean bag rounds are not "Non-Lethal", they are less lethal. They can kill (or cause serious bodily injury) (the standard in Texas for a deadly weapon).

IMHO If you can justify shooting a person with a firearm, shoot them with a firearm. Shoot them in a manner that is most likely to stop the behavior that is threatening (Center of mass). Shoot them repeatedly if needed. Shoot them until they alter their behavior (begin cooling to room temperature).

JoeLee 07-24-2007 09:47 PM

robocop is right,shoot a man with a beanbag you just may end up holding rattlesnake's in your hands.

SabreArms 08-05-2007 04:31 PM

I had the same thoughts a while back. But Robocop and Joelee are right. In this day and age you are pretty much forced to stay away from less lethal force. If you were to injur someone you could be liable for a civil lawsuit that will ruin your life. It is a shame but the criminals (bad guys and lawyers) brought it on themselves. So I scrapped the bean bag idea.