BB / Pellet rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > BB / Pellet rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I lied. Here is from the Illinois State Police website on the FOID card section.

Quote:
"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;
(2) any device used exclusively for signalling or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission;
(3) any device used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition; and
(4) an antique firearm (other than a machine-gun) which, although designed as a weapon, the Department of State Police finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.
SOURCE

Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'd like to know what this translates to in IL.

"expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter".

Globular? A "Glob" is a ball I think.
Not exceeding .18 inch in diameter? So, anything smaller than .18 IS a firearm, but anything over.18 is not?

Now I gotta start some digging.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10430 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

M14- nope- t'other way around. A "globular" (globe shaped- round to us peasants) projectile LESS than .18 is excepted. That means a BB gun (.177 cal) is NOT a firearm. A PELLET gun does not shoot round projectiles, so it IS a gun.

Wonder how they feel about slingshots and pointy sticks?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 PM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Skip the BB gun- no accuracy, no power. A good pellet gun can amaze you with their accuracy. Higher power= more noise- I have one that is LOUDER than a .22 rifle loaded with CCI CB cap ammo. I also have an older Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm (20 cal) that will kill squirrel deader than 4 o'clock at 45 yards- But DO check local laws. You MAY have problems with hunting season, hunting license, etc.
I dunno about not accurate. I just shot a squirrel between the eyes at 7 yards on top of my shed.

I would go with a gamo whisper over anything else even though it does not quiet the gun that much.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
M14- nope- t'other way around. A "globular" (globe shaped- round to us peasants) projectile LESS than .18 is excepted. That means a BB gun (.177 cal) is NOT a firearm. A PELLET gun does not shoot round projectiles, so it IS a gun.

Wonder how they feel about slingshots and pointy sticks?
Aha! The key word was "excluding". Makes way more sense now.

Part of my job description involves deciphering, interpreting and clarifying verbiage in contracts, so this one was going to get some breaking down on Monday. Ha. Now I have some "spare" time.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #16

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
I just planted a vegetable garden in my back yard. I've got an over abundance of squirrels, rabbits, and pesky birds.

Being how I live in Illinois, and in a suburb, I cant discharge a firearm. However, I believe that BB and Pellet rifles are "okay" (Im looking into local laws before I get into trouble). So I am in the market for a semi-accurate rifle. I have no idea where to begin looking, and do not know which brands to look at and which to avoid.

Any takers?
Great wind up

Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #17

This is what I kill rats with.
DIANA Mayer & Grammelspacher GmbH & Co.KG -*PANTHER 350 MAGNUM PRO
Its a Diana 350Magnum, I have mounted on it a 6-24x42 Diana scope.
But it is LOUD.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #18

Liked 199 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Man that sucks that the laws there exclude you from having pretty much anything but .177 caliber bb guns.In your case I would DEFINITLY go with a CO2 gun if you still want to kill pests.Any bb gun that shoots less than 700fps will injure or slow down a smaller pest,but you will need the speed of a CO2 repeater to put 10 more bbs in it to seal the deal.It is hard to find a rifle CO2 bb only repeater,there are plenty of bb CO2 pistols,but not rifles,and you got to be careful because if it can load a pellet,even if you are shooting just bbs,if it can even possibly load a pellet you're in trouble.If it were me I would get this:
IZH-Baikal IZH Drozd BB Pistol. Air guns - PyramydAir.com

it's a little pricey,but it's powerful,bb only legal,less than 700fps and can go full auto,that would send some fur flying
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves