Bayonets Dull From Their Metal Sheaths

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Bayonets Dull From Their Metal Sheaths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bayonets Dull From Their Metal Sheaths

I have bayonet and I find that the fact that the edge scrapes against the inside of the metal sheath when drawing it causes it to lose its sharpness. Why are the sheathes designed in in this way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #2

Seems the tip is all that's needed. You're not gonna Highlander-slash anyone with a sword, much less a bayonet. Stabbing remains functional even if the edges are dull. I don't know if that's anything to do with the design, just my .02

Old 08-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Unless it's a sawback bayo, the edges aren't meant to be sharp, just the point. They're not for hacking, just stabbing. A two inch deep stab wound will kill, a slash may kill, but not right away.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What type of bayonet? The sheath should have a self shaprener in it. You might want to see if it's worn out.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #5

There is nothing on it that looks like it would be a self sharpener. I don't know what kind it is, but the person who gave it to me said he got it from a British solgier in Iraq. I know it is not the AK-47 bayonet because I have seen those and this one is longer, thiner, has no serations on the back and no wire cutting attachment.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #6

I found a picture that matches.

It appears that I was wrong and that it is just a different type of AK bayonet.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ever see a sharp SKS bayonet? The YUGO SKS has what seems to be an aluminum alloy blade- you could cut yourself easier with a butter knife. They were'nt made to cut, just to stab.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not aware of any bayonet scabbard that has a sharpening device inside. Most scabbards have two long leaf springs inside that grasp the blade from the sides, holding it securely in the scabbard.

Most bayonets were not intended to ever be sharpened. A sharp bayonet is too prone to causing accidental injury and isn't more effective than an unsharpened one in combat use. Most sharpened bayonets were, unfortunately, sharpened by bubba, not in service. Sharpening lowers the market value of a bayonet by roughly one-third.

Exceptions include: Japanese Type 30 bayonets were often sharpened on the last half of the blade. The US M4, 5, 6, 7, series; the US M9; and the Soviet bloc AKM bayonets are all bayonet-knives, and have a factory edge of sorts. The Finnish M1962 Valmet bayonet is also factory sharpened. A factory edge on these does not impact value. However, additional sharpening puts them in the same bucket as other sharpened bayonets.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov