bayonets...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

bayonets...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default bayonets...

I'm looking at getting a bayonet (antique), they are pretty cool and such a lost artifact. Anyone know where I could get one? Not the ones they use today, but those from the Civil War to WWI?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #2

I used to have a 1917 Remington bayonet - got it from an antiques sale. I'd get a book on the subject and look at the antiques places and pawn shops - maybe some army surplus places.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #3

Default good places to find relic bayonets.

Gun shows,civil war relic shows ( look in the back of civil war mag for show dates.Your lucky if you live in eastern va or maryland.) also for dealers. be careful with so many repros and ways of making them look aged, it best
to buy from well know dealers in relics. also check out "Man At Arms" MAG , it's full of firearms,knives,swords and other relic weapons , dealers and show lists.Good hunting!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I hear flea markets are good.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

CK- yer timing sux! 40 years ago, the local A&N Surplus store was selling NEW 16 inch Springfield bayonets- for about $2.75. They are considerable higher today.

At the Civil War period, a lot of bayonets were the spike type (hell, Russian used those thru WW II) The WW I and II knife type bayos are getting downright expensive.

Two suggestions- first, get a good book on bayonets. either money up and buy one, or have your local library get you a copy- interlibrary loan if needed. ONE good one is The Bayonet- A history of knife and sword bayonets 1850-1970, authors are Anthony carter & John Walter. Second check around the usual suspects (Cheaper than Dirt, Gunpartscorp, etc) Many of them have bayonets from time to time. There is a sort of semi-bolo bayonet for the Spanish CETME- there were so many that some places were GIVING one away with any bayonet order- they are still fairly cheap (My 15 yr old grandson has a decent knife and sword collection- he LOVED the CETME I gave him).

As a last resort, there is always Flea-Bay.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As a collector, books are your best friend. My first bayonet book was Bayonets From Janzen's Notebook. I have more than 50 bayonet books and still recommend Janzen's as a first book.

My advice is buy the book first. With book in hand, eBay is a great learning tool, even if you never buy there. There are thousands of bayonets you can look at and practice identification. You'll have fun doing it and the exercise will help you settle in on which bayonets you are most interested in.

Where the best pickings are, depends a lot on where you live. In some parts of the country, yard sales and flea markets are good. Not so where I'm at in Northern California. I make most of my good finds at antique malls, gun shows, or on eBay.

Your timing is pretty good. Prices have softened in the sour economy and lots of good stuff is turning up for sale. The key is to know what you're looking at, so you can identify the gold nuggets that sellers failed to recognize and other buyers have passed by.

Lastly, be forewarned. Bayonets can be addicting.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

The gent up there ^^^ has some good points. Learn about bayonets first, and then take a stroll around Flea-bay. Example- bayonets for the Swiss K-31 are generally pricier than the vanilla Mauser K-98 bayonets. But I have seen several K-31 blades advertised by the seller as German or Mauser because of the word munitionsfabriken on the blade (Swiss have 3 languages, German is one of them)

Am not an expert of bayonets- can use one fairly well, the 16 inch blade on my SMLE should aid with zombies and the lawless, but my knowledge does not go a lot deeper. Learn what you can, so you know what you are looking at, and you have a significant advantage over others.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

marysdad - Just wanted to post and say thank you. A friend of my Dad's gave me a bayonet a long time ago while cleaning his garage and I had no idea where it was from. Looked through every picture on that website and it seems I found a match, an M1924 - Type 30 blade from China.

What gave it away for me was the symbol on the side of the blade, same exact one is on mine. Thanks again, I'll now be researching this to find out as much as possible.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

workinprogress: I suspect that your bayonet is a Japanese Type 30. Take a look at the Japan Page of my site.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #10

Likes Given: 5

I am still looking for an original Ariska...

My shopping started with E-bay and I located some great stores and private collectors to buy from.

My beginning. The tiny one to the right is a bone handled pen knife made and blessed by Buddhist Monks
L-R
Argentine Bayonet, Vietnam era Gurber MK II, World War II British Commando Trench knife, German Stag handle Hunting Dagger, Tiny Buddhist pen knife, Swedish Bayonet, Air Force Vietnam era Ceremonial M16 bayonet, Cold Steel Gurkha, Marine K-Bar and a World War II Navy K-Bar
The Argentin and Swedish were my first...cheap to purchase. The Gerber has been the most expensive.
bayonets... - Other Weapons
"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Last edited by safedman; 02-21-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: corrections