Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Backyard archery (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/backyard-archery-29285/)

NGIB 07-13-2010 11:20 AM

Backyard archery

1 Attachment(s)
Left work a bit early yesterday to run some errands and ended up at a buddies place to try out his bow. He has a nice 20 yard shooting area setup in his backyard and it's amazing that his bow fits me like a glove (we're about the same size). I fired about 30 arrows yesterday and by the 5th shot I was hitting paper plates regularly at the 20 yards. This is about the most fun I've had in a long while. His bow is a PSE single cam, 35-50#, 30" draw, with peep & fiber optic sight. I believe he had the draw weight set at about 40# which was very easy to handle. I liked it so much I bought (actually traded) it from him on the spot. He paid around $450 for the setup 6 months or so ago and I swapped him a gun I had about $300 in. Yeah, I gave to much but I was really happy shooting this thing and he threw in a hard case and a dozen aluminum target arrows. I had bought a cheap used bow on eBay but I like this one much better. I'll take all the new accessories off of the eBay bow (sights, rest, quiver, stabilizer, dozen arrows) and use them with the Hoyt I got for the wife yesterday off an archery forum.

No doubt in my mind that this is going to become an addicting new hobby. I can't shoot a pistol in my backyard but a bow is no problem. (He found this pic of the bow when he got it from an archery wholesaler in the upper part of the state)...

spittinfire 07-13-2010 11:28 AM

I'm in the same boat. I can't shoot pistol in my back yard but a bow is no problem! I have no doubts you'll soon be addicted to your bow just like your handguns.

NGIB 07-13-2010 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the bow I got for my wife yesterday off an archery forum (should be here Friday). It's a Hoyt Rintec with 20-30# limbs mounted and a new set of 30-40# limbs included. The draw length is adjustable from 18-26" and I expect the wife will need it set around 23-24". I'm going to take all the new accessories off the eBay bow and put them on this one. Hopefully, the wife and I can spend a few hours this weekend playing Robin Hood...

cmhill 07-13-2010 01:27 PM

Hey NGIB good to see someone from my area on here, you should stop in at southern outdoors if you are ever in down in tifton, we are right on 82 east about a 2 blocks from main street.

pandamonium 07-14-2010 01:50 AM

Good Show! Now ya got the bug. I love to shoot my bow, it is truely very rewarding. Glad to hear your liking it!

NGIB 07-14-2010 09:11 AM

I have to say that it's very cool to be able to go out in the backyard, setup a target, and loose some arrows. I will always love shooting pistols but this provides me with another fun diversion. It also seems like a good skill to learn as having options when the zombies arrive is a good thing...

ScottG 07-14-2010 11:15 PM

Don't forget you can also shoot flaming arrows!!!

stalkingbear 07-14-2010 11:49 PM

Looks like you're all set up. I'd suggest getting carbon arrows though Dave. They'll last a LOT longer.

NGIB 07-15-2010 12:58 PM

I got a half-dozen carbon arrows with the bow I got for myself. Being able to go out back and sling arrows is seriously fun. I need to get about a dozen more arrows though. Boy, I wish I could have a pistol range in my backyard...

amoroque 07-15-2010 03:30 PM

Looks like you have 2 good bows there NGIB!

Are you guys gearing up for hunting? or just targets?