assisted opening knives

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > assisted opening knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default assisted opening knives

are assisted opening knives legal in all 50 states?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneo206 View Post
are assisted opening knives legal in all 50 states?
No. Assisted opening knives are RARELY legal in most states....

JD

Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

JD, I think you're getting assisted opening and automatics mixed up.
Assisted openers are usually legal, automatics are the ones which are usually illegal (or at least limited in some way). There's a difference between the two types, although I doubt a LEO who isn't into knives would be interested in discussing the finer points of assisted opening vs automatic opening knives.

Basically, with an assisted opening knife you need to manually open the blade at first, and then the mechanism takes over and opens it the rest of the way. While with a fully automatic knife you just need to push a button (or press one of the handle scales, or something like that).

If you're interested in getting good information about knife laws in the US, you should join Knife Rights, an advocacy group for knife owners created by Doug Ritter. Check out their website: Knife Rights - Home

Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Actually Francisco I meant what I said, Assisted Opening knives are not legal here in Washington, and they are not legal in several states I have worked in the past few years.

You are right, there is a difference in the two, but the words the cops know is "Gravity Blade". If the weapon can open against gravity, it is not legal, or it falls into a grey area between the person carrying the weapon and the cop ( and how much of a by the book, do I want to mess with this guy or not ) situation.

I have a good friend who recently passed his probationary period with King County Sheriff tell me several of my knives were illegal based on his training IF the officer doing the inspecting wanted to be a hardass about it.

That is one the reasons that the Microtech CMTX5 was such a hit with Internet Knife Collectors. It opens like any normal folding pocket knife. Or, it has a built in spring that will launch it in the blink of an eye. Unless you know how to use the spring, it's a normal knife. Good luck finding one of those around these days though. Unless you are looking in my safe.

JD

Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, I stand corrected (that's what I get for giving legal advice without even living in the US!).

Anyway, for assisted opening legislation, here's a rather handy website: RoadsideImports LLC : Assisted Knife Laws