Arrows Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Arrows Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Arrows Question

Hey guys I'm in the market for some new arrows for my bow. I want to try some carbon arrows, and would like your suggestions on what you all like. Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #2

I shoot Gold Tip Hunter 3555 and they are great! You might not live in Texas but you can go to Texasbowhunter.com and search arrows. What bow do you shoot?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 339 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You need to match the arrows you buy to the bow you shoot. Your needs will be very different based on whether your pulling 70 vs 50 lbs. Go to a Pro Shop and tell them what you are pulling for weight and how long of a draw you have your bow set up for. Make sure you get the arrows cut to length.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #4

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I found some Gold Tip expedition hunters 5575 while I was mowing ran over them with a riding mower, still straight still shoot pretty well out of my Pearson 60 pound draw weight. I went and got some more made just a little thicker and they shoot perfect. I would suggest gold tip.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the responses guys. I am shooting an entry level PSE deer hunter. It has a 32 inch draw and is maxed out at 70 pounds. I currently have some cheap Easton aluminums and I like using the Montec G5 broadheads 100 grain.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #6

The brand of arrow you shoot is dependent upon a few variables.
1: There are different weights to different carbon arrows based upon what you want them to do in accordance with your draw length, poundage and how fast your bow shoots at said length and poundage.
2: Personal preference comes into play
3: the weight of the tip you are using also can come into play

I have a Matthews Monster. I pull between 55-65lbs depending on what shape I am in at the time. I generally start at 55 at the beginning of the season and end up shooting 65 at the end of the season. My bow speed is 305 fps to 320 fps at the different lbs that I shoot. My draw length is 28". I shoot Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 5575 with 100gr field point and 100gr Muzzy broadheads.

The arrows I shoot have been tested by myself. I have seen some carbon arrows splinter badly when hit with another arrow or even have a shatter like effect. I have "robin-hooded" multiple times with these arrows and they have not shattered or splintered. Also, I shoot a very tight group (5 arrows 1" spread) at 20, 30, 40 yards.

The Gold Tips are not the cheapest but are well worth the money when it comes to durability and reliability.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

I use the cheap aluminum arrows. Doesnt hurt much when i break or lose one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedins4nity View Post
Hey guys I'm in the market for some new arrows for my bow. I want to try some carbon arrows, and would like your suggestions on what you all like. Thanks in advance
I use only Beeman and Easton thin shaft carbon arrows and they are FAST ana flat shooting out of my Mathews (set at 71 lbs). My three pins are almost on top of each other and at 45 yards I can do sub 2" groups all day long.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

There's not a thing wrong with aluminum arrows. Keep shoot them if that is what you like.
I prefer aluminum too.