armor piercing arrow

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > armor piercing arrow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default armor piercing arrow

me and a guy at work got talking, he was talking about how kevlar was able to stop pretty much everything short of an explosive... I told him that a knife can go straight through except the trama plate. So it raised a question can an arrow go through kevlar even with just a regular field tip, or would it get stopped.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #2

A bullet resistant vest will not stop an arrow with a field tip, I have tried it on one of my old ones.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-29-2011, 12:39 AM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Kevlar is only good against high velocity projectiles. Dogs, knives, arrows, barbed wire, they'll go through it unless they hit the ceramic plate. And Kevlar was never even really meant to be bullet proof. Higher caliber weapons will kill you whether or not you're wearing it. Most of it is psychological protection for our soldiers.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 05-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

makes you wonder if the police or the ATF knows it, there are more guys around here that shoot bows around here then any place I've been in. I looked it up and there are actually bows that will sling arrows faster then a 45 slug.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

For all those that accuse me of having been the unit armorer for the Crusades- bite me.

Going back to the days of the knight in shining armor, the common everyday archer had a special arrow- known as a Bodkin point. Unlike the Broadhead, designed to cut as many blood vessels as it could on its path thru the body, the bodkin concentrated all it's force on it's skinny, sleek, pointy, hardened tip- it was shaped like a knitting needle. Would SLAM right thru plate steel if you got a close range 90 degree hit.

Kevlar and related soft armor rely on linear tensile strength of the threads, and that the bullets are spinning at very high speed. On impact, the spinning bullet is grabbed by the threads, which pull on all the surrounding areas, stopping the bullet. Viualize using an electric drill, and getting your t shirt caught in the drill.

Arrows don't spin at high speed. A bodkin just pokes straight thu the weave of the fabric unless it hits a trauma plate. An ice pick will go thru most soft vests.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For all those that accuse me of having been the unit armorer for the Crusades- bite me.
Did you help design that arrow?

You can feel free to kick my butt. Couldn't help myself.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2269 Times on 1226 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I didn't think that at all. I assume that you're experience was post advent of gunpowder. Maybe the Napoleonic wars?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Jeep- no, but I did improve the technique of hardening the steel

Scott- well, there WAS that incident with a cannon and the nose of the Sphinx...........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
makes you wonder if the police or the ATF knows it, there are more guys around here that shoot bows around here then any place I've been in. I looked it up and there are actually bows that will sling arrows faster then a 45 slug.
That's why it is always beneficial to have a reliable compound bow and/or crossbow on hand for them "special occasions" in one's "private collection."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

sometimes the old ways are better than new,,,,, the bow and arrow is one of mans most used ranged weapons (as far as length of service) so their must be something to it ,, just like armor . became really prevalant then died at gun point ,, now their making armor for guns thats becoming more and more prevelant , only a matter of time untill its obsolete because firearms are obsolete and they have something better .

liberal idealists wont be satisfied till we all are disarmed ,de-balled ,vegetarian crying commies ,,,,,,,, me 2011