Archery Anyone?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Archery Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8272 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10696

Default Archery Anyone?

My son and I went to a (not so) local archery shop today after pulling my two Martin bows out of the cobwebs. We are going to start shooting archery now too. Anybody else here play with bows and arrows?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I use my old Peasrson alot I shoot target with it and I hunt and fish with it, I've even shot a couple of small ternaments with it (didn't win but didn't lose really). I haven't shot it in a while been to busy with everything else. The only thing I'm not to crazy about is the archery store I go to stopped selling aluminium arrows and only sells carbon and wood arrows. $8 an arrow makes my wallet cry lol.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Just got a new PSE Supra last March. It's more of a target bow (long and heavy as possible to keep it steady) but I'll try to take it hunting. I got third in my division for the nyfab state championship and 1st in the nyfab classic. Archery is definitely fun until you run out of money.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I use my old Peasrson alot I shoot target with it and I hunt and fish with it, I've even shot a couple of small ternaments with it (didn't win but didn't lose really). I haven't shot it in a while been to busy with everything else. The only thing I'm not to crazy about is the archery store I go to stopped selling aluminium arrows and only sells carbon and wood arrows. $8 an arrow makes my wallet cry lol.
Yes, but if you are careful you can use the carbon arrows indefinitely. I have to re-fletch some of mine (I also have some aluminum arrows in need of fletching.) but unless you lose them or bend them they do last a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
Just got a new PSE Supra last March. It's more of a target bow (long and heavy as possible to keep it steady) but I'll try to take it hunting. I got third in my division for the nyfab state championship and 1st in the nyfab classic. Archery is definitely fun until you run out of money.
I guess when you get to a competition level it gets more and more expensive (I wouldn't know myself) but at my level once I get set up its pretty affordable unless I lose lots of arrows. That having been said I do want to replace my bow with a TNT Defiance if I can ever afford it.

http://www.tntarchery.com/catalog/c50_p1.html

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 06-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Partial to the english long bow, no gadgets, more about skill

Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

In the mid 70’s, I remember Burt Reynolds starring in the movie, “Deliverance”. He used a bow and arrow to shoot fish. I found this fascinating and went straight to buy me a bow fishing reel and arrows. Due to the refraction, the fish appear to be closer to the surface than it really is, so hitting it becomes difficult. After much practice I learned to hit them getting many carp and gar weighing from 3 to 25 pounds out of Kerr Lake and Gaston Lake, mostly where Smith Creek joins it in Virginia and several large bass from 3 to 10 pounds out of local farm ponds. This became a favorite pastime for me and I successfully enjoyed it for many years. I had mounted by Mack Harding of Stem, NC ($75) one of the gar fish, below (20lb- 48 inches long) and took several videos and still photos doing it, but all of the bass were cooked and eaten.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/snakeandbowfish.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/GARFISH.jpg

i hunted and fished with mine for 20 years..............loved it

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
Partial to the english long bow, no gadgets, more about skill
Can't argue with that. I have always wanted to make one myself. I am still looking for the perfect blank of wood for it though.

Quote:

Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Liked 2189 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Back in Georgia a friend got me into primitive archery. He and I made a few long bows.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Got back into archery a few years ago. I get out when i can. Last year bought a used Barnett Quad 400 crossbow. My compound is a Mission by Mathews.

Nice thing about archery, the big fuzz in the black suburbans don't know anything about it, so they won't touch it.

In PA i like archery, because i can go deer hunting, while still wearing t-shirt camo and shorts. rather than freezing my cookies off.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Back in Georgia a friend got me into primitive archery. He and I made a few long bows.
Same. Well, except for the Georgia part
Done a few bows myself. The Traditinal Bowyer's Bible was a fascinating read.

I like primitive archery because you must learn not to aim but rather teach your body to reach out to the target.

Kind regards