Archery anyone? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Archery anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
While I support the rights of responsible hunters, I agree here. I refuse to take out an animal if I couldn't do it with precision and a minimum of suffering.
Within reason, i agree. However, with deer, i don't care if they get bludgeoned to death with their own crap or captured and then boiled alive. I hate deer. Of course, pre-death trauma doesn't help the taste for those who eat meat.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #22

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I didn't mean to start a poop storm I was just joking picking on you sitck flinging guys.

A good archer is like a good marksman he hones their skills to the best they can. If you don't you are just a shooter using live targets.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #23

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I didn't mean to start a poop storm I was just joking picking on you sitck flinging guys.

A good archer is like a good marksman he hones their skills to the best they can. If you don't you are just a shooter using live targets.
No poop storm started, tango. There are some really hard core bow hunters. I see it just like any other hunting. Learn the weapon and practice, practice, practice. Strive for one shot-one kill. I loves me some deer meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #24

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

For other critics I have seen some DRT shots with compound bows. I was thinking of getting one for hunting because they get the good time to hunt when it is not to cold nor to hot here in VA.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
No poop storm at all, mate. I actually think it's healthy for hunters and shooters to discuss their sport and what they enjoy about it. Sometimes people have the wrong idea or have met a less than ideal representative of the sport.

I worked as a hunting guide, first part time and then as a full time job for a couple of years. I left when I started seeing some horrible stuff like drugged pumas and things like that. Sickening.

Here are some quick pics I took of my favourite bow. It's a beaten up longbow (60#). The horn on the tips came from the first deer I hunted, instead of keeping it as a trophy I used it for knife handles and such. It's such a smooth shooting bow, I love it.

Archery anyone? - Other Weapons

I ran into one of the guys who made it at my club yesterday, he's now working on his own and making some sweet turkish style recurves. I'm thinking of getting one in 75# to play from my horse and to hunt hogs in thick bush. For around $400 they seem like an excellent deal. Here's his website: .:COLORADO Arqueria:.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

WOW! That's one beautiful bow. The riser is a work of art. I wish he lived in the states, I'd order a Limay tomorrow!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #27

I have a 40# Dwyer longbow that I use for target shooting and 3D shoots. I have never been bow hunting since it is illegal in Sweden for "humanitarian" reasons, whatever that means to a deer. I used to live outside of Winston-Salem, NC, and there are ranges of all sorts out there in the sticks. Ever since moving to Charlotte I don't get much shooting done with it. When my finances allows it I will get a heaver poundage and go hunting with it if I can find somebody willing to take me. That's something I will tackle when I get there. First order is to get my handgun!

Oh, and check these bows out, they are absolutely stunning:
The original Longbow model offered by Dwyer Longbows

Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I spend time both behind my rifle and taking care of the area where I hunt. If you don't eat what you kill then why did you kill it? Unless it's attacking you, you have no reason. Rifle or bow, you can cleanly take an animal where it feels little or no pain. This is my first year using a bow....my longest shot will be 30 yards...I feel I can be accurate and deadly at that range.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #29
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 476 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

i shoot a p.s.e. white tail extreme compound when i pig hunt, for deer primarily a rifle.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #30

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good to see that there are archers in the gun ranks. I love my shotgun for birds, my handgun for indoor shooting, my 22 win mag for plinking and my recurve for hunting. Bowhunting hold a very special place for me.

As I was reading through the replies I was not surprised to see the age old debate on gun vs. bow as it relates to "ethical" hunting/clean kills. I also appreciated the thoughtful and intelligent replies.

I have hunted with bow for over 20 years and I am a very avid sportsman overall and "the weapon choice" has nothing to do with making a clean kill or not.....its the person behind the weapon.....period! A person with a rock as a weapon can be more skilled at killing an animal then a guy with a rifle that is unskilled. Focus on the person.....not the weapon choice.