Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Archery anyone? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/archery-anyone-17450/)

Franciscomv 08-28-2009 04:50 PM

Archery anyone?

I've been an avid bow hunter since I was a small kid. I've never enjoyed any of the modern compound "bows" with their awful pulleys and gimmicks. I love traditional bows, a take down recurve is as modern as I'll go.

Right now my most used bow is a custom 60# longbow by a local maker (P U M A :: Arquería : arcos tradicionales : longbows, recurvados, take down, it's their Willwaw model). I'm thinking about placing an order for a 70 or 75# recurve from them as well.

I'll post pics later (I'm at work now).

Any other bowhunters here?

skullcrusher 08-28-2009 05:31 PM

Yes, I bow hunt. I use the modern crossbow. I'm left handed and right eyed so I've always had problems with any other bows. I shoot right handed. I know some guys that are just great shots with long bows and recurves. Pretty cool stuff, imo.

Benning Boy 08-28-2009 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're currently trying to make this legal for hunting in my state.

orangello 08-28-2009 06:12 PM

I've been wanting to get a Wii for that very reason. ;)

I don't like compound bows either; i did enjoy longbow activities in my youth.

spittinfire 08-28-2009 07:13 PM

I'll be taking on my first season bow hunting deer this year....I can't wait!!

skullcrusher 08-28-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 152269)
They're currently trying to make this legal for hunting in my state.

There's tons of evidence that the Mayans used those. When done right, accurate and deadly. I doubt the death comes quicly enough to be considered an ethical weapon. Evolution, my friend. :cool:

RL357Mag 08-28-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 152249)
I've been an avid bow hunter since I was a small kid. I've never enjoyed any of the modern compound "bows" with their awful pulleys and gimmicks. I love traditional bows, a take down recurve is as modern as I'll go.

Right now my most used bow is a custom 60# longbow by a local maker (P U M A :: Arquería : arcos tradicionales : longbows, recurvados, take down, it's their Willwaw model). I'm thinking about placing an order for a 70 or 75# recurve from them as well.

I'll post pics later (I'm at work now).

Any other bowhunters here?

Francisco - what are the prices on those Puma bows? I have compound bows but would like to get a longbow or recurve. They are not common shelf items at sporting goods retailers where I live.

Franciscomv 08-29-2009 01:56 AM

RL357, they are around $300-400 depending on the model. They make a pretty good product, but you should check around for local bowyers (these guys are down here in Argentina!).

Skullcrusher, there's a guy at my club that shoots olives with his long bow. He even has a video in which he shoots a bloody aspirin! I only beat him once at a 3D tournament. I'm an OK archer, I don't take it seriously enough to excel, minute of a bunny is plenty accurate for what I enjoy doing.

cpttango30 08-29-2009 04:28 AM

Why is the fascination with flinging sticks at animals?

Benning Boy 08-29-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 152599)
Why is the fascination with flinging sticks at animals?

While I support the rights of responsible hunters, I agree here. I refuse to take out an animal if I couldn't do it with precision and a minimum of suffering.

I've never seen an arrow take down an animal without a chase involved.

Is an instant kill within the realm of possibility using these methods?