Anyone own a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Anyone own a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Anyone own a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman?

I was thinking of getting another folding for everyday carry and I've been eyeballing the pocket bushman from Cold Steel.

Pocket Bushman : Cold Steel Folding Knives / Pocket Knives

How do people feel about a smooth solid steel handle? This locking mechanism seems solid and the price for it is amazing. Has anyone ever had any major issues just properly gripping an all steel handled knife?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #2

I watched the video and I'm not sold on the way you unlock the blade. I'm sure it works great, but with my luck my fingers would slip on it one day when it was wet and slice my hand open.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My go-to knife is a Kershaw, Ken Onion designed, Shallot model 1840ST. All SS knife and made in the good ol USA!

Got it NIB on the bay for $26+ship ~$30 total but I shopped for two weeks looking for the right auction.

It is a one hand, assisted open knife. Fit and finish is +1 Kershaw quality.

1ko1.jpg

1ko3.jpg

1ko2.jpg

Kershaw Ken Onion Shallot Assisted Open Knife 1840 New - eBay

Before you cash out on that ColdSteel you should do yourself a favor and take a look at the 1840. It doesn't require a video to unlock!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 11-10-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've sold a few of these, and they are good, solid work knives. The lock works well and the handle is not uncomfortable at all (it's got a nice palm swell that helps a lot).

It is heavy, and it's not refined at all. But for around $25 it's a solid performer.

However, I will second Canebrake's advice. Take a look at some of Kershaw's knives. They are much better designs, A LOT more pocket friendly and made in the US. You can get them for around the same price as the Pocket Bushman or perhaps a little more. Models like the Skyline and Storm (or Storm II) are excellent tools with a very sensible price tag.

Cane, you got a fantastic price on that Shallot! Most online stores have them for around $45. I mean, you got it for less than the wholesale price some distributors have. Did you buy it from a regular knife seller on e-Bay? If you wouldn't mind helping a knife addict out, I'd love to have his e-Bay name. :-)

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had a Kershaw before a lot like this and it was crap. First the blade isn't long enough and I do care about and small bit of reach when in self-defense. And the liner started to bend into itself somehow. I just personally don't trust Kershaws.

All the Cold Steel knives I've owned have never failed me and I'm currently using a Spyderco Police3 as my EDC and a couple of times opening up the knife I've cut my thumb in the process of opening it one handed using the thumb hole on the base of the blade, I guess it needs to be two hands for this one.

I've just been looking around for a knife that is decent quality and the price is good. This Bushman caught my attention. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm sorry Kershaw didn't work out for you, I've got a few (fifteen or so) and they are all flawless. They do make models with longer blades than the Shallot (Spec Bump and Junkyard Dog are two that come to mind). I'm a knife collector as well as a part time dealer, so I've handled hundreds of these.

About the Spyderhole in your Police, that is also uncommon. Some of my Spydercos have sharp edges on the opening hole (which actually helps get a better purchase), but none are sharp enough to cut me. Return it or use a dremel to smooth it a bit.

Cold Steel has some tough folders, that's a fact. I don't care for their over the top advertising, and I think that there are knives with better blade steels for the price of most of their folding knives, but I must admit that they make strong knives. If you're going to beat your pocket knife around a lot, Cold Steel is certainly a good choice. A customer of mine bought a Rajah and did horrible things to the poor knife, both the lock and blade are still fine. We also tortured a Voyager quite a bit and it held up just fine.

And, if you like big blades, Cold Steel has a good selection of long bladed folders (some are just ridiculously big like the largest Espada or Ti Lite).

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Espada caught my eye big time not just because the wicked awesomeness of the blade but the semi-cultural symbolism of the knife since my family are northern spaniards. But I won't get it:

They need to make an economical version of the Espada, if they did I would be all over that, it's too expensive to get. I'll look into the Kershaws some more though thanks.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMarksman338 View Post
The Espada caught my eye big time not just because the wicked awesomeness of the blade but the semi-cultural symbolism of the knife since my family are northern spaniards. But I won't get it:
I handled a couple of Espada models, they are HUGE. Photos don't do them justice. Just a tad too large for me.

For a well priced large folding knife, you might want to look at the Voyager series by Cold Steel. There are models with 5" and 6" blades.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
My go-to knife is a Kershaw, Ken Onion designed, Shallot model 1840ST. All SS knife and made in the good ol USA!

Got it NIB on the bay for $26+ship ~$30 total but I shopped for two weeks looking for the right auction.

It is a one hand, assisted open knife. Fit and finish is +1 Kershaw quality.

Attachment 7555

Attachment 7556

Attachment 7557

Kershaw Ken Onion Shallot Assisted Open Knife 1840 New - eBay

Before you cash out on that ColdSteel you should do yourself a favor and take a look at the 1840. It doesn't require a video to unlock!
I haven't found one for $26 + shipping yet.... but I B a lookin.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #10

Default get a cold steel spartan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMarksman338 View Post
I've had a Kershaw before a lot like this and it was crap. First the blade isn't long enough and I do care about and small bit of reach when in self-defense. And the liner started to bend into itself somehow. I just personally don't trust Kershaws.

All the Cold Steel knives I've owned have never failed me and I'm currently using a Spyderco Police3 as my EDC and a couple of times opening up the knife I've cut my thumb in the process of opening it one handed using the thumb hole on the base of the blade, I guess it needs to be two hands for this one.

I've just been looking around for a knife that is decent quality and the price is good. This Bushman caught my attention. Thanks for the input.
If you are still looking for a knife, get the cold steel spartan. I have one, It's the best knife out there. get it from midwayusa.com. It's like 75 bucks. check it out. It put my buck 119 fixed blade hunting knife and my tactical CRKT hammond desert cruiser to shame. It also has a feature that will make it come out of the pocket open. Get It...You WILL NOT look back..