Anyone know of a small yet sturdy fixed blade for under $50? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Anyone know of a small yet sturdy fixed blade for under $50?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was looking at a Mora 1 with the wooden handle and no finger guard. Very cheap blade, but the tang design isn't entirely what I want nor the handle, but it's close, and for 10 bucks I can't see anything wrong with getting it. I emailed Mr Porter asking if he can keep the Cutty Sark full tang and put scales on it (either wood or antler) and how much that would be compared to some other options. He was quick to respond last night to let me know he would gather all of the information to my questions today. I doubt it will be too costly, judging by the price of some of his other stuff- but if I can't get it now I will definitely have to put it on my wishlist. A full tang, 3 3/4" stainless blade with wood or antler handle (not to mention one of a kind) definitely grabs my attention. I have a similar knife that was a gift with supposedly ivory scales, but it's a knife I never want to use. If I do get a knife from Mr. Porter (it all comes down to prices) I will be putting it to work.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #12

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

His knives are functional, I fully intend to put mine to work if I ever get a deer.

This is the first year after taking over 10 years off from hunting. I wasn't able to put the time into it that I wanted, but I'm hoping that will change next season.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
His knives are functional, I fully intend to put mine to work if I ever get a deer.

This is the first year after taking over 10 years off from hunting. I wasn't able to put the time into it that I wanted, but I'm hoping that will change next season.
yeah, I just started hunting again (last time I went I was probably 14). I killed a button buck on accident and a small pig on the same day. Not my proudest moment but that little 50 lb pig tasted great. Other than that no luck this season. I'm always cleaning fish, rabbits, or squirrels so a good knife comes in handy.

Mr Porter got back to me, he said he doesn't make full tang knives anymore. The prices he listed are not bad at all for the quality, but I may have to hold out on the knives for now and weigh my other options. The sheaths he had too are beautiful... but being a student and not having job at the moment I have to spend money wisely... with a new .45 to further deplete what little spending cash I have

However, I have to say his knives appear to be nothing to turn my nose up at, and it will be a tough decision whether I want to go that route or not. If not this time definitely something to take into consideration in the future

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #14

Look at cold steel pricey but always faithful. Lifetime Warranty

Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well I just found a site that has quite the catalog. I entered my price range and hit "fixed blade" and adjusted my search accordingly... now I have hundreds of knives to scan through, all different makes
http://www2.knifecenter.com
Wish I found this a long time ago

http://www.smkw.com

I've found so many knives that meet my requirements... the only problem is some of them are brands I've never heard of and the price has me concerned about quality. I never knew "Colt" made knives. I am under the impression that these "Colt" knives aren't actually "Colt"... either way they look good, and are cheap. Not sure if they are worth a damn though

Update: I think I am going to go with the Classic Mora. The regular Classic is 11 dollars, but the one I want is about 32 plus shipping. It was a tough decision between the two, but the main differences are laminated steel and a "full" tang, although it isn't technically a full tang, it just extends to the end of the handle, sort of like the KA-Bar fighting knives. I don't think there is anything wrong with the regular tang they use for most moras but it's just a psychological thing for me, I like knowing it's going to be as strong as possible if for some odd reason I have to use it for more heavy duty tasks. I really like the classic design and plan on using it as a neck knife when I am hunting or doing whatever. Probably not the best "skinner" but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I've cleaned animals with much less than practical blades.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Frosts+Mora+of+Sweden/Mora+of+Sweden%C2%AE+Morakniv%26%23153%3B+Classic+ Original+%231+with+Birchwood+Handle/FS11011.html

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Frosts+Mora+of+Sweden/Mora+of+Sweden%C2%AE+Morakniv%26%23153%3B+Classic+ %232+with+Red+Birchwood+Handle/FS0002.html

The tough part is paying 32 dollars for this blade when I can get something very similar which may or may not have any noticeable difference in my everyday use for only 11 dollars. However, the sheath that comes with this one looks better than that plastic one on the other mora, and I like the color of the wood compared to the red lacquer. Throw laminated steel (I don't own any laminated blades yet) and a better tang design and it is very tempting. But is it worth 21 extra dollars? That's the question. Right now I am saying it is. I'm looking forward to adding something more "traditional" to my collection, my recent purchases have included synthetic handles and tanto style blades. Plus I don't own any knife I can wear around my neck so that will be cool. Free up some pocket space/belt space. The advantages of the 11 dollar knife is just that- it's 11 dollars. I can spend the extra 21 dollars on some 230 grain slugs, and if the knife were to break or get lost somehow I wouldn't fret because of the price. 32 still isn't much for a knife (in my opinion) My granfather who came from an era when gas was 5 cents a gallon might think otherwise

Last edited by comeback_kid; 01-31-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I have the Ka-Bar Acheron Skeleton knife and it is 6.25 in overall, with a 3.25 in blade, I love it, it is an amazing knife, and I bought it on amazon for about $10 plus shipping, I would recommend that, but I have a bias for Ka-Bar.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY