Anyone know of a small yet sturdy fixed blade for under $50?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Anyone know of a small yet sturdy fixed blade for under $50?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Anyone know of a small yet sturdy fixed blade for under $50?

I'm looking for a fixed blade with a blade length anywhere from 3-4". I don't care if it is stainless or carbon. I am looking for something with a sturdy tang design that will handle some slight abuse. The intended purpose of the knife is just dressing game and general outdoor use. I don't want anything with serrations or a gut hook. I have been scouring the web and I can't find anything- I have been looking at the Mora knives (they seem great for the price) but there is much more research that I need to do. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks. (I would prefer something with a wooden handle but I am certainly open to other options)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You need to look up randy porter. He makes and sells knives here on FTF. I just got my 3.5" skinner in the mail yesterday, solid 440 I believe with a cord wrapped grip. I already love it. It's almost a quarter inch thick, perfectly balanced, simple and elegant at the same time.

With all respect to Randy, his pictures don't do justice to his product.

The sheath it came with is also top notch quality.

Stand by for pictures.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #3

Here it is...

forumrunner_20120128_203846.jpg

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Beautiful knife.

http://portersknives.com/default.html

Here is his website.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome, I wonder how much the Cutty Sark S9 blade would be with a fitting handle... I guess I will have to ask him... I might be willing to pay more, those knives look VERY nice. I have always wanted something with the antler grip, but I'll take whatever he can put on there haha. I also like the Devil Drop point and the chippewa hunter, but I have a mental block against those skinny tangs. I mean my KA-BAR is a solid knife that has been through hell and back and it has that tiny tang...

Thanks for the heads up, definitely something I am going to take a hard look at, as long as the prices are reasonable. I have a hard time believing I can get one made for under 50.
If I had a knife that perty I might be scared to use it. Truth be told I would prefer the elk handle over wood, or any other handle, but I don't think I want to find out how much it will cost. Especially once I throw in a sheath. (I can get a sheath made somewhere else for free though if I have to, but I guarantee it won't fit very well) I am still open to more suggestions- I have a bad habit of jumping on the first thing that catches my eye

Should I contact him on here or through the site?

Last edited by comeback_kid; 01-29-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback_kid
Awesome, I wonder how much the Cutty Sark S9 blade would be with a fitting handle... I guess I will have to ask him... I might be willing to pay more, those knives look VERY nice. I have always wanted something with the antler grip, but I'll take whatever he can put on there haha. I also like the Devil Drop point and the chippewa hunter, but I have a mental block against those skinny tangs. I mean my KA-BAR is a solid knife that has been through hell and back and it has that tiny tang...

Thanks for the heads up, definitely something I am going to take a hard look at, as long as the prices are reasonable. I have a hard time believing I can get one made for under 50.
If I had a knife that perty I might be scared to use it. Truth be told I would prefer the elk handle over wood, or any other handle, but I don't think I want to find out how much it will cost. Especially once I throw in a sheath. (I can get a sheath made somewhere else for free though if I have to, but I guarantee it won't fit very well) I am still open to more suggestions- I have a bad habit of jumping on the first thing that catches my eye

Should I contact him on here or through the site?
Id go through his site mon ami

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

buck makes a good sheath knife the Buck Nighthawk, I have one that has been abused to no end and never failed me.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Id go through his site mon ami

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
On Randy's site, I didn't see many for sale, could be I wasn't looking in the right places.

If you look him up on facebook, you will see examples of everything he's done, all beautiful, functional, and reasonably priced.

Buck, schrade, and old timer are some of my faves, but Randy does great work.

OP, you mentioned you have a ka-bar, have you checked them out? They have many different models, but I don't know if they have one to suit your needs, or what their prices are.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good idea. I sent Mr Porter an email (I think, not sure if it went through)... I didn't think my question through very well though, but when they get back to me I am gonna ask if they could make the Cutty Sark S9 with wooden scales and keep the full tang (I read somewhere on the site where he uses antler and makes the tang skinner); But I will see what he can do and I look forward to hearing back from em. It all depends on prices as far as which way I go. It might be worth spending a little extra for something that custom fits all my wants/needs. KA-BAR has a very nice knife I just found that is exactly what I want, besides the fact it's 100 bucks.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ColdSteel.com. All my fixed blade and most of my folding knivies are from them.