anyone have the m48 hawk? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > anyone have the m48 hawk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Well I don't own an M48, personally I have a SOG Fasthawk or somethin like that, it works great for everything except cutting real wood,

I have heard very good things about Cold Steels hawks with wooden handles, ex: their spike hawk, riflemans hawk and pipe hawk all have good reviews, but they are wooden handled.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2100 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 11829

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Thanks for the write up. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't intend to kill cars with it , but it will get used and abused and thrown alot. It'll be my go to hawk so that the hand forged wood handled one can stay in one piece until I need it for competitions etc.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
Never intended to use mine on a car either until a friend had to strip out 4 of them in one week. One of my other friends was there with his $15 off brand hawk, and we decided to do a head to head test on both. I figured I was only out $50 if i broke mine, so why not. Both held up well, but mine had better penetration on sheet metal and plastic due to shape and weight advantages. It now resides in my Go Bag\hunting pack, mounted on my pistol belt, and I will order another one to keep in my truck's toolbox in the spring. It will be there for emergencies like the one we had back over the summer.

got a call from a friend of my daughter about a tree down across the road two streets over. Rather than call the town at 23:30, my family and I went to take care of it ourselves. I keep 2 axes, a bow saw, and an E-Tool in my tool box, along with a set of 12 volt work lights. We grabbed the chain saw, and headed out to remove the problem. It turned out to be a 6 to 7 inch thick sapling, but that could still be a problem for some vehicles. Took care of it within a couple minutes, and headed home.

I may never need it, but a hawk would be a nice addition to my truck kit if something like this happens again. If nothing else, it could be used to pop a window if I wind up in the drink, and have to self rescue. Folks do wind up driving into Lake Erie from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
I bought one about a year ago. I don't know much about tactical tomahawks, but this is great.
Compared to mine, yours looks brand new.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

Never intended to use mine on a car either until a friend had to strip out 4 of them in one week. One of my other friends was there with his $15 off brand hawk, and we decided to do a head to head test on both. I figured I was only out $50 if i broke mine, so why not. Both held up well, but mine had better penetration on sheet metal and plastic due to shape and weight advantages. It now resides in my Go Bag\hunting pack, mounted on my pistol belt, and I will order another one to keep in my truck's toolbox in the spring. It will be there for emergencies like the one we had back over the summer.

got a call from a friend of my daughter about a tree down across the road two streets over. Rather than call the town at 23:30, my family and I went to take care of it ourselves. I keep 2 axes, a bow saw, and an E-Tool in my tool box, along with a set of 12 volt work lights. We grabbed the chain saw, and headed out to remove the problem. It turned out to be a 6 to 7 inch thick sapling, but that could still be a problem for some vehicles. Took care of it within a couple minutes, and headed home.

I may never need it, but a hawk would be a nice addition to my truck kit if something like this happens again. If nothing else, it could be used to pop a window if I wind up in the drink, and have to self rescue. Folks do wind up driving into Lake Erie from time to time.

I haven't used mine that much, just for whacking stuff for fun.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post

i might have to check into that one. i have been looking to get something like that for keeping in my toolbox on my truck for emergencies and such. my first thought was something with a hickory handle in case i needed to replace the handle if needed. but if it takes that much abuse, i might have to rethink that a bit.

thanks for the review.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #15

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Not a big fan of "tacticool" stuff (which is all of M48's stuff), but it does seem like a good hawk.
I recently got a SOG fasthawk (it was 20 bucks at Wally World so why not?). It's ok. My biggest gripe is the steel. They used 420HC steel and it seems they didn't heat treat it, which is a big no-no in my book. 420HC steel isn't a good knife/axe steel unless properly heat treated. So as you can imagine, it's a soft steel. The handle of the hawk is built like a damn tank. It does do ok for a $20 hawk, I will say that, but it's such a good design that they screwed up with the crappy steel for the job. Then again, it did say "tactical" under usage section on the box. I guess they figured some "zombie fanatic" would get it for their "tactical belt rig" and never use it except for the occasional toss at a tree in the backyard. As far as chopping, it does great on small trees when it's sharp. Oh, that's another thing I don't like. They put a knife edge on a tomahawk. I think it should be one big beveled edge. As for throwing, it does good, but it's a different balance than I'm used to.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

A warning to any of you considering purchasing the m48 kukri. It does come razor sharp and the handle is slippery.

1388075025378.jpg  

Old 12-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2100 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 11829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i might have to check into that one. i have been looking to get something like that for keeping in my toolbox on my truck for emergencies and such. my first thought was something with a hickory handle in case i needed to replace the handle if needed. but if it takes that much abuse, i might have to rethink that a bit.

thanks for the review.
I had the same concern Axxe, so what I did was I unbolted the handle and made a pattern. When I manage to break the handle, I know how far down and wide I need to make my cuts into a good piece of hickory, and where I need to drill and do a wire reinforcement wrap to bring it back to life. A good hammer handle from a hardware store should work fairly well, given the similar size and shape of the hawk's handle.

I say when and not if because I know me. If there is a way to break it, I will find it. Usually at the worst possible time and place. And my friends wonder why every part I have replaced on each of my trucks has the longest possible warranty on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
A warning to any of you considering purchasing the m48 kukri. It does come razor sharp and the handle is slippery.

Nice to know. I get tired of the first thing I have to do with a new blade always being putting a good edge on it. Be careful with that thing MM.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I took the dremel to the handle of the kukri. It now has a very aggressive grip. I highly recommend any who buys it to do the same.

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I took the dremel to the handle of the kukri. It now has a very aggressive grip. I highly recommend any who buys it to do the same.

What is it called, m48 kukri? Is it the m48 kommando kukri?

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Last edited by FullautoUSA; 12-28-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yep.....