anyone have the m48 hawk? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > anyone have the m48 hawk?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 52
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Well I don't own an M48, personally I have a SOG Fasthawk or somethin like that, it works great for everything except cutting real wood,

I have heard very good things about Cold Steels hawks with wooden handles, ex: their spike hawk, riflemans hawk and pipe hawk all have good reviews, but they are wooden handled.
Chief-Long-Iron is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 3,162
Liked 2100 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 11829

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Thanks for the write up. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't intend to kill cars with it , but it will get used and abused and thrown alot. It'll be my go to hawk so that the hand forged wood handled one can stay in one piece until I need it for competitions etc.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
Never intended to use mine on a car either until a friend had to strip out 4 of them in one week. One of my other friends was there with his $15 off brand hawk, and we decided to do a head to head test on both. I figured I was only out $50 if i broke mine, so why not. Both held up well, but mine had better penetration on sheet metal and plastic due to shape and weight advantages. It now resides in my Go Bag\hunting pack, mounted on my pistol belt, and I will order another one to keep in my truck's toolbox in the spring. It will be there for emergencies like the one we had back over the summer.

got a call from a friend of my daughter about a tree down across the road two streets over. Rather than call the town at 23:30, my family and I went to take care of it ourselves. I keep 2 axes, a bow saw, and an E-Tool in my tool box, along with a set of 12 volt work lights. We grabbed the chain saw, and headed out to remove the problem. It turned out to be a 6 to 7 inch thick sapling, but that could still be a problem for some vehicles. Took care of it within a couple minutes, and headed home.

I may never need it, but a hawk would be a nice addition to my truck kit if something like this happens again. If nothing else, it could be used to pop a window if I wind up in the drink, and have to self rescue. Folks do wind up driving into Lake Erie from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
I bought one about a year ago. I don't know much about tactical tomahawks, but this is great.
Compared to mine, yours looks brand new.
__________________
Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
kfox75 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FullautoUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marxachusetts
Posts: 2,627
Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

Never intended to use mine on a car either until a friend had to strip out 4 of them in one week. One of my other friends was there with his $15 off brand hawk, and we decided to do a head to head test on both. I figured I was only out $50 if i broke mine, so why not. Both held up well, but mine had better penetration on sheet metal and plastic due to shape and weight advantages. It now resides in my Go Bag\hunting pack, mounted on my pistol belt, and I will order another one to keep in my truck's toolbox in the spring. It will be there for emergencies like the one we had back over the summer.

got a call from a friend of my daughter about a tree down across the road two streets over. Rather than call the town at 23:30, my family and I went to take care of it ourselves. I keep 2 axes, a bow saw, and an E-Tool in my tool box, along with a set of 12 volt work lights. We grabbed the chain saw, and headed out to remove the problem. It turned out to be a 6 to 7 inch thick sapling, but that could still be a problem for some vehicles. Took care of it within a couple minutes, and headed home.

I may never need it, but a hawk would be a nice addition to my truck kit if something like this happens again. If nothing else, it could be used to pop a window if I wind up in the drink, and have to self rescue. Folks do wind up driving into Lake Erie from time to time.

Compared to mine, yours looks brand new.
I haven't used mine that much, just for whacking stuff for fun.
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
FullautoUSA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Never intended to use mine on a car either until a friend had to strip out 4 of them in one week. One of my other friends was there with his $15 off brand hawk, and we decided to do a head to head test on both. I figured I was only out $50 if i broke mine, so why not. Both held up well, but mine had better penetration on sheet metal and plastic due to shape and weight advantages. It now resides in my Go Bag\hunting pack, mounted on my pistol belt, and I will order another one to keep in my truck's toolbox in the spring. It will be there for emergencies like the one we had back over the summer.

got a call from a friend of my daughter about a tree down across the road two streets over. Rather than call the town at 23:30, my family and I went to take care of it ourselves. I keep 2 axes, a bow saw, and an E-Tool in my tool box, along with a set of 12 volt work lights. We grabbed the chain saw, and headed out to remove the problem. It turned out to be a 6 to 7 inch thick sapling, but that could still be a problem for some vehicles. Took care of it within a couple minutes, and headed home.

I may never need it, but a hawk would be a nice addition to my truck kit if something like this happens again. If nothing else, it could be used to pop a window if I wind up in the drink, and have to self rescue. Folks do wind up driving into Lake Erie from time to time.



Compared to mine, yours looks brand new.
i might have to check into that one. i have been looking to get something like that for keeping in my toolbox on my truck for emergencies and such. my first thought was something with a hickory handle in case i needed to replace the handle if needed. but if it takes that much abuse, i might have to rethink that a bit.

thanks for the review.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 859
Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Not a big fan of "tacticool" stuff (which is all of M48's stuff), but it does seem like a good hawk.
I recently got a SOG fasthawk (it was 20 bucks at Wally World so why not?). It's ok. My biggest gripe is the steel. They used 420HC steel and it seems they didn't heat treat it, which is a big no-no in my book. 420HC steel isn't a good knife/axe steel unless properly heat treated. So as you can imagine, it's a soft steel. The handle of the hawk is built like a damn tank. It does do ok for a $20 hawk, I will say that, but it's such a good design that they screwed up with the crappy steel for the job. Then again, it did say "tactical" under usage section on the box. I guess they figured some "zombie fanatic" would get it for their "tactical belt rig" and never use it except for the occasional toss at a tree in the backyard. As far as chopping, it does great on small trees when it's sharp. Oh, that's another thing I don't like. They put a knife edge on a tomahawk. I think it should be one big beveled edge. As for throwing, it does good, but it's a different balance than I'm used to.
Gizord1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

A warning to any of you considering purchasing the m48 kukri. It does come razor sharp and the handle is slippery.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
1388075025378.jpg  
__________________
I don't need No stinking signature.
mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 3,162
Liked 2100 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 11829

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i might have to check into that one. i have been looking to get something like that for keeping in my toolbox on my truck for emergencies and such. my first thought was something with a hickory handle in case i needed to replace the handle if needed. but if it takes that much abuse, i might have to rethink that a bit.

thanks for the review.
I had the same concern Axxe, so what I did was I unbolted the handle and made a pattern. When I manage to break the handle, I know how far down and wide I need to make my cuts into a good piece of hickory, and where I need to drill and do a wire reinforcement wrap to bring it back to life. A good hammer handle from a hardware store should work fairly well, given the similar size and shape of the hawk's handle.

I say when and not if because I know me. If there is a way to break it, I will find it. Usually at the worst possible time and place. And my friends wonder why every part I have replaced on each of my trucks has the longest possible warranty on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
A warning to any of you considering purchasing the m48 kukri. It does come razor sharp and the handle is slippery.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
Nice to know. I get tired of the first thing I have to do with a new blade always being putting a good edge on it. Be careful with that thing MM.
__________________
Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
kfox75 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

I took the dremel to the handle of the kukri. It now has a very aggressive grip. I highly recommend any who buys it to do the same.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
__________________
I don't need No stinking signature.
mountainman13 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FullautoUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marxachusetts
Posts: 2,627
Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I took the dremel to the handle of the kukri. It now has a very aggressive grip. I highly recommend any who buys it to do the same.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
What is it called, m48 kukri? Is it the m48 kommando kukri?
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Last edited by FullautoUSA; 12-28-2013 at 06:16 PM.
FullautoUSA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Yep.....

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
__________________
I don't need No stinking signature.
mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone used Black Hawk Custom in FL for Cerakote? ZeusEcho Engraving & Refinishing 4 06-19-2013 10:38 AM
Ruger red hawk 454 stubby Subcomp9 Revolver Handguns 16 08-16-2012 05:54 PM
SOG tactical hawk on sale! mountainman13 Other Weapons 0 06-12-2012 04:01 PM
Hawk Sharps shooter Blackpowder & Musket 5 11-19-2009 10:53 AM
Ruger Red Hawk/ Pachmayer Grips wally Revolver Handguns 10 08-03-2009 12:09 PM