Anyone carry a Butterfly/Balisong knife in their person? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Anyone carry a Butterfly/Balisong knife in their person?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8722 Times on 3774 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Note of caution on butterfly knives- don't carry one in Nevada. Felony.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Note of caution on butterfly knives- don't carry one in Nevada. Felony.
They are a felony here as well, Wa., if the cop wants to be a Richard about it.

My spring activated Presidio is also a chargable offense, but it's not a felony.... assuming of course the cop being alert enough to notice that it is spring assist.....

JD

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i used to carry a butterfly knife
opening them and doing those tricks are cool and all...
but in a high stress situation when my life is on the line where i don't have a half second to waste to swinging my butterfly knife open...
i'd rather go with a K bar or something

but besides that its a fun recreational knife that you can get really good at opening and doing tricks with
lots of tutorials on the tube

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
i dont carry any knife IN my person... but i do carry a pilot's survival knife from ontario knives in my truck. Carbon steel blade, parkerized finish, leather sheath and a sharpening stone. Carbon steel is great for keeping a sharp blade, because it's a relatively hard material and will not be deformed as easily (dulled). I like the leather handle on it too.

it even has 2 small holes on the hilt, so you can lash it to a stick or pole and make a spear, ideally using paracord.
LOL! Yeah I should have said ON your person. My mistake.... you guys do have a good point about trying to deploy that specific knife under high stress conditions. I've seen guys on YouTube who have deployed those knives really quick... faster than fliping a folder open. I guess you just need to be trained with it is all.

I'm just wonderin' if you guys consider it a decent all around utility type of knife as well as good for self-defense. I do plan on moving in the future to a place where there is hardly any if not any stupid weapon laws. I know two guy here and they carry the Benchmade 42 balisongs. They haven't got to any trouble with the police...yet. They encountered police officers before and they didn't bug them about it. They wore it openly on their belt sheathed in and you can obviously tell that they are balisongs. They are nice guys, clean records, well mannered, well dressed, etc... maybe thats why they let them fly. Here in California..balisongs are a no no so they must have been really nice cops.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I carry a cheapo one often, I figure i probably wont ever need it for self defence since i CC firearms, I like them because the blade play is almost non existant on most balisongs... Good for everyday cutting purposes, Plus i really like flipping them around.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2696 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardcall View Post
I've never understood why the knive are out lawed..... even switch blades.... what the hell is the poin in outlawing them?.... what is the point in outlawing brass nuckels? I mean seriously..... I could do alot more damage quicker and from further away with a maul or an ax and they arn't illegal?
Interesting that prior to 1974 switchblades were legal in Texas if you only had one hand/arm. No provisions in those days to open a folding knife with one hand.

I think the prevailing wisdom (if that is not an oxymoron) is smaller knives (fixed blade or folding) are tools. Longer blades or switchblades are weapons.

You think it would be OK to carry around brass knuckles? Hmmmm.

Mauls and axes are not very concealable and ARE illegal if used in an illegal manner. Base ball bats are considered clubs and as such are illegal in Texas IF they are used in an illegal manner.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Interesting that prior to 1974 switchblades were legal in Texas if you only had one hand/arm. No provisions in those days to open a folding knife with one hand.

I think the prevailing wisdom (if that is not an oxymoron) is smaller knives (fixed blade or folding) are tools. Longer blades or switchblades are weapons.

You think it would be OK to carry around brass knuckles? Hmmmm.

Mauls and axes are not very concealable and ARE illegal if used in an illegal manner. Base ball bats are considered clubs and as such are illegal in Texas IF they are used in an illegal manner.
And the list gets longer and longer...