Anybody Carry Spyderco? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Anybody Carry Spyderco?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I don't want to appear dozy but 'what is a benchmade'? and if they are so good how come no one can tell me what they are...it's not a trick question I don't know!......
Just do a search for benchmade it is another knife manufacturer all of their upper class knives are made in the USA !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey fapprez I also own plenty of microtech knives too absolutely love them

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&k bigdaddydieseldan View Post
Just Hey fapprez I also own plenty of microtech knives too absolutely love them
Yep. I've had mine for about a week and I like it more than my $70 gerber I used to carry. Heck of alot cheaper, too!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&k bigdaddydieseldan View Post
I have plenty of spydercos and also plenty of benchmades but to say spyderco is as good as benchmade there is no comparison benchmade wins hands down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So what exactly makes a Benchmade better than a spyderco? I can open my Spyderco faster than any benchmade, mine is just as sharp, more ergonomical, and better priced.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
So what exactly makes a Benchmade better than a spyderco? I can open my Spyderco faster than any benchmade, mine is just as sharp, more ergonomical, and better priced.
Well, I would say that you can open your Spyderco faster than MOST Benchmades, but I have a Presidio 5000 Auto Axis & I can say for certain this is one of the fastest pocket knives I have ever seen. I also own a Microtech CMTX-5 DOUBLE ACTION AUTOMATIC and I would say that the Benchmade Presidio is definitely faster.

But, I personally think that Spyderco has one of the best serrated blades on the market and their pattern has been copied more than most would care to admit.

JD

Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, I would say that you can open your Spyderco faster than MOST Benchmades, but I have a Presidio 5000 Auto Axis & I can say for certain this is one of the fastest pocket knives I have ever seen. I also own a Microtech CMTX-5 DOUBLE ACTION AUTOMATIC and I would say that the Benchmade Presidio is definitely faster.

But, I personally think that Spyderco has one of the best serrated blades on the market and their pattern has been copied more than most would care to admit.

JD
Alright, I will admit that your blade does pop fast! Im talking more of the assisted open and grav blades though. Nothing opens faster than a wave (which is my next spyderco )

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 05-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Alright, I will admit that your blade does pop fast! Im talking more of the assisted open and grav blades though. Nothing opens faster than a wave (which is my next spyderco )
Now I remember the blade. I stopped by their booth at SHOT and watched a demo. You are right, from the pocket, nothing is probably going to be faster than this application. However, as evidenced by the live demo, you have to be prepared for it to possibly open ANYTIME you take it out of your pocket.

I have always regarded SpyderCo as the company that invented the serrated blade, but they just seem to be missing the boat in the tactical market. I don't know what it is, maybe their handle designs, maybe their blade steel and how hard it is to resharpen their serrations, maybe their locks and their over-exaggerated thumb hole as opposed to a thumb stud, but their stuff has just never caught on in the black ops community.

Good choice if you really like their knives - I think you will be happy with the blade and the performance if you can keep it from opening when you come home for the day and "download" your gear to the dresser.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 05-21-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Now I remember the blade. I stopped by their booth at SHOT and watched a demo. You are right, from the pocket, nothing is probably going to be faster than this application. However, as evidenced by the live demo, you have to be prepared for it to possibly open ANYTIME you take it out of your pocket.

I have always regarded SpyderCo as the company that invented the serrated blade, but they just seem to be missing the boat in the tactical market. I don't know what it is, maybe their handle designs, maybe their blade steel and how hard it is to resharpen their serrations, maybe their locks and their over-exaggerated thumb hole as opposed to a thumb stud, but their stuff has just never caught on in the black ops community.

Good choice if you really like their knives - I think you will be happy with the blade and the performance if you can keep it from opening when you come home for the day and "download" your gear to the dresser.

JD
Lol, ya, my Emerson Karambit is waved, it bites me all the time.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Lol, ya, my Emerson Karambit is waved, it bites me all the time.
That's a nice knife you got there partner. I really like the Emerson line and will probably add one of their blades to my growing collection in the near future. I have no interest in the wave line, but I have been doing some reading on their knives and have liked what I read.

Question - Have you had to sharpen the blade and if so, do you know the blade bite angle? Also, how is the edge retention on the knife?

I love my Microtech, and the auto opening/manual opening is great for a everyday carry camoflauge, since it's technically "illegal" for daily carry, but their edge retention sucks to be honest.

My Presidio has twice the edge retention and I have carried it twice as long.

For my money, I haven't seen a knife come with a sharper blade, from the factory, then the Cold Steel line, of which I have three. However, their blades are so damn hard to resharpen, in material - not in ease or difficulty, and their handles eat my jeans something fierce, that I find myself growing tired of them within a couple of months.

Anyone know a "perfect" knife? LOL

JD

Old 05-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #19

Quote:
That's a nice knife you got there partner. I really like the Emerson line and will probably add one of their blades to my growing collection in the near future. I have no interest in the wave line, but I have been doing some reading on their knives and have liked what I read.

Question - Have you had to sharpen the blade and if so, do you know the blade bite angle? Also, how is the edge retention on the knife?

I love my Microtech, and the auto opening/manual opening is great for a everyday carry camoflauge, since it's technically "illegal" for daily carry, but their edge retention sucks to be honest.

My Presidio has twice the edge retention and I have carried it twice as long.

For my money, I haven't seen a knife come with a sharper blade, from the factory, then the Cold Steel line, of which I have three. However, their blades are so damn hard to resharpen, in material - not in ease or difficulty, and their handles eat my jeans something fierce, that I find myself growing tired of them within a couple of months.

Anyone know a "perfect" knife? LOL

JD
Emerson uses 154 CM for their knives, so they are freakin sharp and retain an edge well. I did break the tip on my Karambit, but thats because its so skinny. My buddy broke a CQC 8 while prying an ammo can open on an FTX, but Emerson replaced it for free. Thats when I fell in love with Spyderco, an LCPL handed him an Endura and it pryed the can open, pretty cool to see.

Oh, and I dont sharpen my own blades, Ive got a guy who does it for 10 a knife every couple of months on my hard use, every year on my show queens.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 07-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #20

Default Spyderco

I have two POLICE G10's by Spyderco most reliable and great serated blades, flip of the rist and you could whack off a finger, and I can see why alot of people favor them, but to tell the truth, to pick a favorite in the world knives would take me a month of Sundays there so many different bad a$$ tactical folders out there now!
As a rule you get what you pay for, in my own situation, I must have really good taste every time I see something I just got to have, seems like it's in the 3-7 hundred dollar area!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!