Antique Pre '98 Percussion Cane Gun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Antique Pre '98 Percussion Cane Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 536 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default Antique Pre '98 Percussion Cane Gun

This was given to me when I was a young kid and I hung it on my rifle rack with my .22's. It's a smooth bore percussion cane gun that was mfg between the 1840's and 1860's. It is a plain example, unlike some of the others that I've seen over the years like the Remingtons. As a matter of fact I've seen some fancy and outright gaudy examples, which aren't to my taste. Unfortunately the maker of mine is unknown, but is a curiosity none the less and is worth at least some discussion.

When my stepfather returned from WWII a friend of his worked for an estate in an unknown capacity to me, but was given this gun as payment for doing a favor for someone. The original owner of this gun was very wealthy and travelled to Wall St. in the late 1800's from his mansion in south Brooklyn. Back then this part of Brooklyn had a number of very wealthy people living there.

Fortunately my father's friend didn't have any real interest in this gun and neither did my father who he gave it to. As it turned out I ended up with it and still have it to this day. Fortunately it is an antique with no restrictions where owning it is concerned. It has a nice plain burl handle with a silver band and has a removable brass tip that usually are missing on pieces this old. I'm sure mechanically with it's strong spring it would work, but I'm not that curious. Just showing it is enough for me. Here's a few photos that you may find to be of some interest.

Antique Pre '98  Percussion Cane Gun - Other Weapons

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #2

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

That is just plain cool.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #3

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Cane says that a handicapped citizen does not have to run.
People Like This 
Old 12-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2497 Times on 1512 Posts
Likes Given: 13693

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
This was given to me when I was a young kid and I hung it on my rifle rack with my .22's. It's a smooth bore percussion cane gun that was mfg between the 1840's and 1860's. It is a plain example, unlike some of the others that I've seen over the years like the Remingtons. As a matter of fact I've seen some fancy and outright gaudy examples, which aren't to my taste. Unfortunately the maker of mine is unknown, but is a curiosity none the less and is worth at least some discussion.

When my stepfather returned from WWII a friend of his worked for an estate in an unknown capacity to me, but was given this gun as payment for doing a favor for someone. The original owner of this gun was very wealthy and travelled to Wall St. in the late 1800's from his mansion in south Brooklyn. Back then this part of Brooklyn had a number of very wealthy people living there.

Fortunately my father's friend didn't have any real interest in this gun and neither did my father who he gave it to. As it turned out I ended up with it and still have it to this day. Fortunately it is an antique with no restrictions where owning it is concerned. It has a nice plain burl handle with a silver band and has a removable brass tip that usually are missing on pieces this old. I'm sure mechanically with it's strong spring it would work, but I'm not that curious. Just showing it is enough for me. Here's a few photos that you may find to be of some interest.]
Nice conversation starter to say the least. Would that qualify as a CC or OC piece? Not bad Gunsmoke.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.