'Anti-stab knife' to be released in UK
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > 'Anti-stab knife' to be released in UK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 'Anti-stab knife' to be released in UK

First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

June 15, 2009

'The first “anti-stab” knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Mr Cornock, 42, from Swindon, said that the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries.

He said: “It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can’t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone.”

The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime.'

First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain - Times Online

Seriously, how stupid is this?

Why don't they just tighten up the jail time for committing an offence with a knife...instead of babying the entire population? It's like the old analogy...you can teach someone to drive & they can use that knowledge to either 1) drive someone to hospital etc or 2) use the car as a getaway vehicle. Depends on the *person* not the object used. Apparently kids on council estates are carrying FORKS now, so they can't be busted with knives....I mean where is it going to end in that case? Screwdrivers illegal? Pointed sticks?

At least Aust hasn't gone this far. Yet

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Everyone knows you're suppose to slash with knives anyway.

Also, I saw a knife like that in a dive store years ago.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Exactly the point re slashing, Ubergopher.

My favourite comment from the article:

This is intended to make homes safer places for everyone regardless of age, ability (disability) or useage. The common kitchen knife hasn't evolved since its medieval beginnings and has no place in the 21st century home. By the way £50 each is a misprint. They will be much cheaper.

John Cornock, Swindon, UK

Now that's pure gold lol

Watch out for that tableware, people!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. That ranks up there with birth control for deer. Why can't people realize that if person A wants to kill person B, person A will find a way to do it. Oh, I must be living with a midievil mindset, my bad.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bunch o' crap... Anything that can be picked up is a potential weapon.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

??? They don't have grinding wheels in England?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
??? They don't have grinding wheels in England?

Yeah but it'd be illegal to use a grinding wheel to 'manufacture a prohibited weapon', wouldn't it? Or even a concrete slab lol

Old 06-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Yeah but it'd be illegal to use a grinding wheel to 'manufacture a prohibited weapon', wouldn't it? Or even a concrete slab lol
That's the rub of gun control, if i'm breaking the law by robbing somebody at the point or muzzle of a weapon, why should i care if having the weapon is illegal. Although, i do take care not to have anything illegal with me if i have a gun in the car (increased penalties).

Old 06-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
That's the rub of gun control, if i'm breaking the law by robbing somebody at the point or muzzle of a weapon, why should i care if having the weapon is illegal. Although, i do take care not to have anything illegal with me if i have a gun in the car (increased penalties).

Exactly. And the vast majority of crimes committed with a gun involve illegal weapons...even though the gun-ban supporters insist that most criminals get their weapons thru theft from legal owners.

Which is UTTER crap.

Quote:
Most detainees obtained their handguns illegally; only eight percent bought their handgun from a legal retail outlet. Almost two in five (37%) detainees acquired their handgun from a family member or friend, although it cannot be ascertained from the data whether the family member or friend was in legal possession of the handgun at the time of the sale. Around one in five detainees purchased their handgun through a 'private sale' (19%) or from a source on 'the street' (18%), and another eight percent obtained their handgun through a drug dealer or drug-related transaction. No detainee admitted acquiring their handgun directly through theft.

Criminal use of handguns in Australia

Our gun-safe legislation is so strict that theft (safe must weigh more than 150kg empty, or else be bolted to the dwelling foundations) is extremely unlikely if the laws are followed.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

thats a bit ridiculous, if i was british and liked the right to protect myself, (and hadn't moved away already) this might be the last straw. Having age restrictions on silverware is pointless, if you really wanted a blade as a criminal, you can steal one form say... a restaurant? Whats next "knives can no longer be used in public eateries and you must have a permit to own one in your home" ? I'm glad BO has his hands full at the moment between the economy, Iran, and North Korea. Any more enemies (such as gun owning americans) and he'd either quit or be impeached!