Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Accurate Cowboy Blade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

Default Define authentic cowboy Knife***

This subject is not like your asking about pistolas back in the day. After you have looked at photos of some of the relics then you can decide which direction to go. If you decide to go fancy you Will spend long hrs. just on the blade. The leaf spring does make for a good blade BUTT you will have a lot of material to remove. 3/16 x 2'' high carbon flat bar works, but this will rust. If you look in the knife making cat. you will find better steels that will hold an edge and won't rust. As for the handle, are you still going authentic? Can you give a little more on what you are looking to make. My fisrt knife was made with leaf spring from a boat trailer. 1/4 x 2'' I made a small skinner and used an old axe handle for the handle. youd be surprised what a torch can do to in crease the charector of the wood. Good luck and get out the elbow grease cause you gonna need it. Wills in da Swamp in La. One Shot One Kill.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

As I stated in an above post, I don't believe the Cowboys used belt knives. I have never seen a photo of a cowboy with a belt knife outside of a studio. Here is a photo from my personal collection of an 1860-1870's small belt bowie. It was manufactured by I*XL. The blade is 5" long the handle is made of ivory, and the guard is german silver. This is about standard for a sheath knife after the revolver became common place. If you are looking to get a replica of an antique knife a little known fact is that no guard was ever built out of brass until 1910. They were either built out of iron or german silver aka nickel silver.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
As I stated in an above post, I don't believe the Cowboys used belt knives. I have never seen a photo of a cowboy with a belt knife outside of a studio. Here is a photo from my personal collection of an 1860-1870's small belt bowie. It was manufactured by I*XL. The blade is 5" long the handle is made of ivory, and the guard is german silver. This is about standard for a sheath knife after the revolver became common place. If you are looking to get a replica of an antique knife a little known fact is that no guard was ever built out of brass until 1910. They were either built out of iron or german silver aka nickel silver.

My old eyes are having a time. The first line on the blade appears to be a German name, the second, an American president, and the last a British Steel town?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
My old eyes are having a time. The first line on the blade appears to be a German name, the second, an American president, and the last a British Steel town?
The blade is marked "G.WOSTENHOLM & SONS WASHINGTON WORKS SHEFFIELD". This is an English company that started in buisness in 1745 and was still in buisness in 1971. Over the time their markings varied and you can date their knives by the varying blade marks. The blade marks on this small belt knife were used from 1848 till 1890. England was the major supplier of cutlery to the US in the 1800's.