The 2nd Ammendment on a budget
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

The 2nd Ammendment on a budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default The 2nd Ammendment on a budget

2nd Amendment muscle exersize on a budget

For those who enjoy shooting and have control of the homestead... Remember the article from the NRA which reminded us that the most important weapon in our Nations' history was an Air Rifles carried by Louis and Clark back in the early 19th century. They and 40 other explorers went from St. Louis to the West Coast and back meeting many tribes of Indians yet were never attacked. That was because they had a 0.43 cal repeater air rifles which had been developed to deal with Napoléon Bonaparte. This gun could shoot 20 rounds per minute with no smoke.

All of that is trivia unless you want to set up a range in your home to shoot all the positions and stiles possible. I am a 68 year young fellow who has a 50' heated and Air Conditioned range from my bedroom, down the hall, across the living room which has a total cost of less than 2 bills. Where I live, the water table is too high to build basements which many parts of the country have.

I shoot 0.177, 0.20 and 0.22 cal rifles and 0.177 and 0.22 cal pistols here. Go to your Wall Mart or other vendor of weapons. If you do a little shopping, you can pick up a trap to assemble foe around $50. If you want a welded unit, to use on higher energy shooting, those run double that around $100.

An inexpensive book case is my device to keep the trap convenient for all positions except prone. It can be moved and the trap on the floor for that. Light is just an inexpensive floor reading light. To protect the wall from the possibility of a major screw up of a flyer... I picked up a couple of 16 x 24 nylon kitchen cutting boards which I place behind the trap so I could not damage the plaster.

I have both CMP 50' rim fire - 30 meter air gun targets and having gone to an Appleseed Project shoot I have taken one of their AQT targets from their training which was designed to be shot at 25 meters outdoors with a collection of zero, and proportional sized to emulate 100 to 400 yard sight pictures. That works well on my range still giving me the opportunity to deal with breathing, heart beat and trigger squeeze.

This system allows me to save fuel from driving to the range, the ammo is available and much less expensive than powered cartridges, and there is no major distraction to the neighborhood of things going BANG in the day or night. My shooting cost less than $0.03 per shot as long as I use either pump or spring compression guns as built by Sheridan of old, Crossman, Gamo. If you use a 12 gram CO2 gun, then you would add in the cost of the power-let every 40-50 rounds as well.

I have sent 5 photos showing the view of the range, the trap and backstop detail and the targets. If you want, you can copy the targets snap shot and save it. Take a photoeditor and cut out the AQT target (Army Qualification Target). Save that separately. Then import it twice position them sise by side. That can then be sacled and printed on 8 1/2 x 14 paper (legal). After printing it yealds twice the targets in a size to fit this trap.

That is enjoying the 2nd Amendment on a budget for those that desire to do so.. I shoot 2-3 times a week using this set up.
File Type: jpg 2015-03-12 My range at home.jpg (30.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-12 Crossman trap.jpg (38.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-12 backstop& light.jpg (29.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-12 Some of what I shoot here.jpg (40.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-03-12 2 targets.jpg (41.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by beaufordqrastus; 04-05-2015 at 06:30 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3367 Times on 2035 Posts
Likes Given: 3190

That's a neat approach for guns that use a benign driver. Springs, compressed air and CO2 are all benign. Propane drivers for Airsoft guns are a potential fire hazard inside a house.

However, powder driven rounds can create more problems. Primers are typically a lead compound, producing a cloud of smoke containing lead compounds. Breathing this is not as hazardous as ingesting some, but still not good for you. Good ventilation would be needed to avoid this issue. Also, many small bore rounds are lead rounds rather than jacketed. Firing lead rounds leads to more airborne lead hazard.

Also, it's important to be sure you "have control over the homestead". If you live alone and lock your doors, you may think you "have control". But if you live in an incorporated town, chances are very good that there are laws against discharge of a firearm in city limits (other than self defense). I do not know for sure whether such laws only apply outdoors or affect actions inside the home. Be sure you know how you are affected by laws before you start doing this.

As long as you know your situation, this is a neat setup.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Baloa... I have checked with the police here about shooting in the back yard. It is a no-no. I never figured it would be questionable indoors. I will check. I miss the basemnet. our water table is at 4-5 ft down so basements flood.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 692 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I've been a user/supporter of air guns for years. Any trigger time, firearm or air gun, is valuable. I shoot in a bullseye league and a 10 meter air gun league. Same people who shoot in one, shoot in the other. During the cold Wisconsin winters I shoot my air guns indoors and outside the rest of the year. I don't care how experienced a shooter you think you are, air guns will increase your accuracy. good luck to all

Old 04-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11025 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

I moved your thread- you were in the section that deals with the suggestions for the website itself, not the contents.

And a very good post. I have an older Sheridan Blue Steak 5mm rifle. At indoor distances, it puts pellet after pellet in the same hole.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

The Sheridanin the pictire is a Silverstreak I got for Christmas 1958. I get better groups wit that gun than I do with my springers (Gamo and Ruger).

Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #7

Liked 3504 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 5444

You almost 100% HAVE to be a single guy.( DISCLAIMER---If you have a wife, this idea is going to go over like a turd in the punch bowl)...That being said...Very good post..thank you.. A good solution to a shooting addiction..if your options are limited for some reason...

Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1172 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
You almost 100% HAVE to be a single guy.( DISCLAIMER---If you have a wife, this idea is going to go over like a turd in the punch bowl)...That being said...Very good post..thank you.. A good solution to a shooting addiction..if your options are limited for some reason...

Too funny!
I had an idea for a zip line from my back deck to an (as yet) unbuilt treehouse once, but I kept it to myself...

That being said, if I could not shoot in my backyard I would have to resort to creative solutions for my targeting needs.

Looks good!
Enjoy!
Stay safe!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Tex... You need to keep control over your yard carts! I do not know what the gestation period is but watch out, you might have some toys for the sand box. And they are out there in the rain!!!
rn-cindy Likes This