Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   ZEN and the Art of reloading. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/zen-art-reloading-19583/)

cpttango30 10-29-2009 03:38 AM

ZEN and the Art of reloading.

Went out and did a little fall yard work this evening cooked dinner. Then went out and reloaded 200 rounds of 45acp in a matter of 30 minutes. I love having a progressive press. I still have 1500 + bullets for the 45 so I got plenty of ammo to load. The only thing I hate is having to pick up brass on the range. Because it never fails that i get a few 9mm and they fit inside a 45 case then they go into the tumbler and get stuck together with media. Oh well, needed a little alone time this evening daughter was having an episode so sent her to bed early and cranked out a few rounds. It really does make you fell a little bit better.

dunerunner 10-29-2009 03:52 AM

I'd like to get that going in my garage. Powder measure scale, case holders, press, tumbler churning away, new hollow points for my .45, Drowning Pool blaring on the radio, Ah........Relaxing!

Sounds great Tango!

Gatekeeper 10-29-2009 05:25 AM

Reloading can be very relaxing. Im still stuck on single stage tho.
Its great for making precision loads for my hunting rifles.
Got the ar, ak, and two forty-fives to feed now.
Trying to keep up with my .223 demand is not so much fun, not even going to attempt 45acp single stage.
I need to get set up progressive.
200rd/ 30min sounds great Tango

Txhillbilly 10-29-2009 06:19 AM

Tango,I guess we all enjoy having personal time with our reloading. I was out in the shop yesterday putting some things together and wound up setting down in front of the reloading bench and loading up some 223 and 300WM. I almost forgot about turning on the brass tumbler and had to go back out there tonight and turn it off. Next up some 44 Mags!

cpttango30 10-29-2009 11:04 AM

Some don't want to hear it. I don't have the radio loud but I do have it on lowly in the background so that it drowns out the family. The only thing I load on the 550b is my 45acp loads. I have done some 308 but I don't like the fact that I can't clean the cases between steps. So when I did I got a lot of powder bridging.

I need a rock chucker and a Dillon strong mount for it. Then I can retire my little Reloader special press.

spittinfire 10-29-2009 11:29 AM

Sounds like a good evening tango. Well, other then the daughter's episode. I find reloading to be very relaxing. It gives me some alone time and gets my mind of everything else going on. Just the other day I cranked out 200 45s myself. I'm planning to do 2-300 more and then I'm going to switch over and start my first batch of 357s. I"m toying with the idea of getting some 170 or 180gr JSP and make hunting load.

robocop10mm 10-29-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 179629)
Some don't want to hear it. I don't have the radio loud but I do have it on lowly in the background so that it drowns out the family. The only thing I load on the 550b is my 45acp loads. I have done some 308 but I don't like the fact that I can't clean the cases between steps. So when I did I got a lot of powder bridging.

I need a rock chucker and a Dillon strong mount for it. Then I can retire my little Reloader special press.

I have an RL-450. I leave out the dies from all stations except #1 and resize only the first time through. The rifle brass then gets re-polished to remove the lube, primer pockets cleaned/uniformed, brass trimmed and inspected and then flash holes deburred. Brass is sorted and stored awaiting the rest of the components.

I shoot a lot of range pick ups so they get segregated by headstamp and loaded when there are enough of one brand. Lately pistol brass is easier to comeby than primers so I do the same routine with it. Process brass so it is ready to load when and if primers become available again.

On the Dillon, stick to the ball powders like 748 or BLC-2 to avoid bridging and cutting. The loads are very consistant and more accurate than factory.
You can also consider some of the "Short Cut" powders or Varget. It seems to flow pretty good, too.

When I load .25-06, I weigh each charge of IMR powder to insure conksistant charges. EVERYTHING else goes through the Dillon.

cpttango30 10-29-2009 05:15 PM

The bad thing robo I was using W748 for the 308 loads. It was nasty to say the least.

I need more pistols in different calibers. I am really wanting a wheel gun in 357 or 44 mag.

mrm14 10-29-2009 06:11 PM

Havn't reloaded anything since August. I had a large project with a bunch of .308 to reload for M1A during June thru Aug. Have just reecieved .44 Mag. target bullets from Midway and will be reloading this stuff soon. Also bought Redding T-7 press and will be trying it out with this pistol ammo. Pretty much will use RCBS single stage press to de cap brass from here on in.

For me reloading up to a couple hundred rounds or so is enjoyable, however, those several thousand rounds of .308 ammo I reloaded back through Aug. was quite the task and near cleaned me out of the components for this caliber. And I still have more brass than I reloaded for the .308 Win. just waiting for my time.

Glockmaniac 10-30-2009 01:46 AM

mmmhéhéhé, sorry, but i shoot around 600-700 rounds each weeks , 9mm, .40 (.22 rugers not included lol), when i sit behind the 650XL i want to make as many rounds as possible(i've never been able to cap more than 500 rounds an hour)... not relaxing at all. between the powder scale and bullet seating and crimping, i just stress out the whole session looking at the clock versus the number of rounds made...lolololol.