Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   For your purposes, how large of an ammo supply is enough? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/your-purposes-how-large-ammo-supply-enough-94365/)

JW357 07-24-2013 04:33 PM

For your purposes, how large of an ammo supply is enough?

New poll time!

For your purposes, whether they be plinking, hunting, prepping, etc, how much ammo per caliber is ideal? I'm not asking how much you HAVE, but how much you think is sufficient for your use.

Or, if you're a reloader and you don't stock up on factory ammo, think of it in terms of how much components do you keep on hand to make X number of rounds?

Me, I am way short of my goals. I want to have enough reloading supplies on hand for three years worth of regular shooting. I don't shoot as much as I'd like, but if I could... I would shoot twice a month, at least 200 rounds each time. So over the course of three years that comes out to 14,400, if my math is correct. Add in a couple hundred factory self defense rounds, and let's call it an even 15,000. But I guess my question is per caliber. So for myself I guess I'd say 1k-2k? :confused:

Realistically, I am nowhere near that amount.

bluez 07-24-2013 04:37 PM

10,000 rifle and handgun hunting and combat capable rds is enough IMO
(so not including any 22LR ), am at 8000 right now.

My self-training dimishes that supply at times though.
Am waiting until prices drop later in the year to replenish/enlarge.

JW357 07-24-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluez
10,000 rifle and handgun hunting and combat capable rds is enough IMO
(so not including any 22LR ), am at 8000 right now.

My self-training dimishes that supply at times though.
Am waiting until prices drop later in the year to replenish/enlarge.

Is that 10,000 per caliber or just in general?

bigjim 07-24-2013 05:05 PM

I voted for 2,000 to 3,000 per caliber. It will be different depending on the caliber and how often you shoot each gun. I have a total of about 20,000 rounds of ammo (not counting 22 LR or 22 Mag), but I shoot 13 different calibers, some like 223/5.56 I will have 2,000 rounds of and some like 35 Remington I will have only 500 or so. If you asses your needs for at least 1 year and then store up to 3 years worth of ammo for each caliber, you should do well during shortages.

I reload my own ammo so I will load up 100 and shot maybe 50. After time you build up quite a lot of excess ammo and the problem then becomes "where do you store it all".

I am not as concern on how much ammo I have on hand as I am as to how many components I have on hand since I can reload whatever I need at any time. As an example, I have 14,000 primers of all sizes, while that seems like a lot, depending on what you are shooting (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun), it can go fast for one particular type like Small Rifle primers (I shoot a lot of 223). So monitoring your supplies and refilling them as you use them up is more important to me.

With the panic buying that has happened having a one year supply is almost a must.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim

1turkeyhunter 07-24-2013 05:15 PM

I feel for my situation that 10,000 rds of each caliber would be fine. I am at the range every weekend (sometimes twice a weekend), and on average shoot 100 rds per. Multiply the 100 x 52 weeks a year and double it, 10,400, so thats close enough. Not that I have that much, but hey, its a goal!!

trip286 07-24-2013 05:21 PM

I've discovered ammo is like money. No such thing as "enough". The more you have, the more you use, until you fall into that lifestyle that suits you. Think of Bill Gates, versus lotto winners. Bill Gates doesn't spend much in relation to what he makes, but lotto winners can blow through a couple hundred million in a year or two.

Right now, I'm the equivalent of the lotto winner. There's do much shooting I WANT to do but haven't been able to, I'm pretty sure I could blow through way more in one year, than some of you do in ten right now.

I would have to have a large and steady supply for a while before I could settle into a routine of "enough to satisfy my needs".

deadsp0t 07-24-2013 05:40 PM

I think for my uses roughly 1K per @ 5 calibers currently = 5K total.
I personally refuse to contribute to the panic and hoarding currently taking place so I'm well short of my goals to the tune of 100-200 per..
:rolleyes:

bluez 07-24-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1313811)
Is that 10,000 per caliber or just in general?

Total between 5.56 and 357 Magnum.
Most of it 5.56.

More is always better of course but tats the point i decided is reasonable for me.
Keep in mind that even the famous feuds of the old times in our country likely took less than 1000 rds over the generations

duddie10 07-24-2013 11:29 PM

Wow i only wish to have the space for 10000 rds. Most of my riflea are bolt or lever. I got 2100 rds of 30-30 i keep making rounds i cant stop!!!!

partdeux 07-24-2013 11:56 PM

A year ago, there was not an amount that was too much. Today, it's a bit less.