Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Your preferred AR-15 ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/your-preferred-ar-15-ammo-78981/)

LaiePoi 12-20-2012 07:40 PM

Your preferred AR-15 ammo?

Hey guys just want to know what is your preferred .223/5.56 ammo for home defense so I can check them out? My barrel is chambered in 5.56 with 1/7 twist....any recommendations for range and HD ammo? Thanks

robocop10mm 12-20-2012 09:28 PM

Winchester 64 gr Power Point

warrior_oh58d 12-20-2012 10:40 PM

Man, I could go on and on about good ammo choices here. For home defense you're going to want to use the ammo that is the most reliable in your particular rifle. I suggest to you to purchase a selection of different loads and test them out at the range and see how it goes for you. You're looking for accuracy an flawless function. A few options are defense offerings from Hornady, PMC, Remington and mil surplus 5.56mm choices like M855 and XM193. It takes time and money to find the best ammo for your rifle.....now get to the range and train and tell us how it goes.

robocop10mm 12-20-2012 11:05 PM

Let me get this straight, you are actually recommending mil surp ammo for home defense? That would be the last ammo I would consider for HD use . The military uses it because they HAVE to. I doubt there are any service members who prefer it to good expanding ammo.

bonney 12-21-2012 12:12 AM

few service members know a damned thing about any other sort of ammo, dude. :-) The only thing that I trust is the 60 gr Nosler Partition sp. I reload, but I think that Black Hills offers it, about $1 per round. It's an expensive bullet to reload, even, about $40 per 100. I have heard bad things about the powerpoint 64 gr sp, unfortunately, it breaks up too easily.

robocop10mm 12-21-2012 03:36 AM

I do not know what you have "heard" about the Power Point. I have shot numerous coyotes with it. All fall in a step or two. Recovered bullets show proper expansion and very good penetration. The only bullets that can be recovered are lengthwise shots. I've seen two BG's that absorbed the PP. Neither has any complaints. Partitions are fine bullets indeed. Speer Gold Dots are our new duty ammo. They seem to be holding together very well

bluez 12-21-2012 04:01 AM

PMC X-Tac in 55gr
Affordable usually) but pretty high quality a step up from PMC Bronze (which is also decent considering its usually the lowest priced brass cased ammo)

LaiePoi 12-21-2012 07:04 AM

I was at a LGS today and they had Hornady zombie 55g and I think Tap 60g both in .223....anyone have experience with those? Just asking cuz those are the only two I can remember off the top of my head

LaiePoi 12-21-2012 07:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback I'm looking up all your suggestions :D

warrior_oh58d 12-21-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Let me get this straight, you are actually recommending mil surp ammo for home defense? That would be the last ammo I would consider for HD use . The military uses it because they HAVE to. I doubt there are any service members who prefer it to good expanding ammo.

As I said, if its what works reliably an is accurate in his rifle over tho other options I suggested. Have you ever taken a round of M855? You ever shot anybody with it? It does actually work. Oh and if I wanted any smart ass comments I'd talk to my father in law but thanks anyway dude.