Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Are you stocked up & satisfied with your ammo cache? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/you-stocked-up-satisfied-your-ammo-cache-81009/)

StainlessSteel215 01-11-2013 07:20 PM

Are you stocked up & satisfied with your ammo cache?

I dont know if its smart to post an approx round count on a public forum in this current climate.....but Ill just say I have enough to feed my pistols for a while. A few ammo cans filled to the top in most popular calibers.

My question to you all is....even though I think that is plenty for personal storage....for now...every time I read a new article on guns and ammo shortages I get another feeling that this may be the last chance to OVERSTOCK for the future, before either 2 things happen:

1) Ammo prices will double, triple, etc
2) Ammo production simply stops, due to over demand, government interference, etc. Who the hell knows what laws will pass over the next few months.

Do you guys have that same anxiety about buying more and more, just in case there is a full blown ammo shortage/stoppage?

I say this because my 2 local guns shops are drying up more and more each week. Supply isnt meeting demand and who knows how bad it will get.

rocshaman 01-11-2013 07:26 PM

I feel the same way, at this point I don't feel like you could have "to much" ammo. Like you I have a few ammo cans full but maybe not so much in the calibers I'd like to have and those are the calibers it's getting hard to find of course.

pnolans 01-11-2013 07:27 PM

I'm not satisfied. I do however have more than I will likely ever need...

IF I don't shoot anymore at a target range. :cool:

Right now, when I find my ammo, and have the $$$ I buy some.
I buy bullets and powder as well.
Every payday, I buy SOMETHING.
223, 22lr, 9mm, 270, 7mm.

StainlessSteel215 01-11-2013 07:30 PM

Thats a great point PNolan and I was just thikning about that....my monthly range trips may turn into bi-monthly range trips at this rate.

What I do now is just pick up 3-4 boxes of ammo at the range, and bring a box home to add to the stash. For now, its working, but prices are slowly climbing while supply is getting low

cottontop 01-11-2013 07:42 PM

Hoarding is a personality disorder. There is even a tv series about it.
cottontop

StainlessSteel215 01-11-2013 07:58 PM

Thanks for the useless post cotton....if you consider a few small ammo cans filled up, neatly tucked away in a metal storage shelf in my basement "hoarding" then I would like to see your doctorate of mental health ;)

Some folks on here have ammo caches that would blow your mind. And what some consider to be an adequate stockpile, others burn through in a month. We are in tough times...it cannot continue this way for long

therhino 01-11-2013 08:01 PM

Happy enough. I only have a handful of boxes of each type of round I have guns that fire, and that's really plenty for me. I fire unpopular (Makarov) or out-of-favor (38SPL) rounds, so I don't tend to have to fight over ammo at the shop. 22LR is not in short supply up here liek I'm hearing it is in other places. I say that with my fingers crossed to ward off The Jinx, of course ;).
I simply don't have the inclination or the desire to stockpile thousands upon thousands of rounds.

cottontop 01-11-2013 08:10 PM

I'm not worried about it. I don't think I've got that much time left anyway. But then again, crotchety groucy opinionated old farts with no friends (like me) sometimes tend to live a long time.
cottontop

bamashooter68 01-11-2013 09:07 PM

Never really satisfied but I have alot of ammo on hand plus I reload. I have enough reloading supplies to restock once. Like you guys I think I may shoot very little centerfire and break out some of the 5000rds of rimfire for range trips in the near future. My LGS had a new shipment of .22lr and some wolf and mfs 223. I bought a new decapping pin, my old one is bent slightly.

pnolans 01-11-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1089637)
Hoarding is a personality disorder. There is even a tv series about it.
cottontop

I'm not hoarding. I'm just buying whatever I can, when I can. And then burying it in my vault, underground.

Is that hoarding? Oh, I guess I do.

:cool: