For you reloading scientist out there: Jump vs. Push - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > For you reloading scientist out there: Jump vs. Push

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
I discovered last night that after changing brands of bullets that I have been seating my rounds far too deep into the case. After resetting my .223 die to seat the rounds to 2.260" that my manual calls for on my AR, I loaded up 100 rounds to shoot this weekend. Which brings me to my question. Has anyone out there played with the OAL for their AR handloads and found their rifles to shoot better with a little jump to the rifling or maybe loading to over max OAL and getting a little push into the rifling?
You must be loading the 69gr or 77gr SMK bullets.

1st NEVER EVER excede the max OAL. You must have bullets seated at least half the diameter of the bullet to get proper neck tension on the bullet.

Now sure every rifle with have a sweet spot for OAL just like it will have a sweet spot for bullet weight or powder and charge weight.

Now you can load to the lands some say OMG NO DON'T DO THIS. I will tell you you can load for a little crush you just have to adjust your load accordingly because it will cause an increase in chamber pressure. NOW if you are not very bright and running max loads DON'T EVER Load into the lands. back of my 15 to 20% and work up.

Now because of the ogive some bullets will need to be seated out a little further than others. If you are loading a 180gr 30 cal VLD you can load it our further than say a 180gr 30 can round nose.