Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Yet another tiresome question from a newb. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/yet-another-tiresome-question-newb-78301/)

fmj 12-12-2012 08:12 PM

Yet another tiresome question from a newb.

Getting ready to run my first batch of .223's

Finally got a factory crimp die for .223 (and 06) a few months ago and with the semester and finals week coming to a close i am getting ready to spend some much needed quality time with my press...and guns.

ANYwho...the papers in the Lee factory crimp die boxes (.223 and 06) say "trim to length not critical"...am i to take this to mean i can skip the tedious process of trimming? Its all once fired PMC brass.

(even tho i bought the lee "zip trim" with my last load of goodies)

Tenderribbs 12-12-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj
Getting ready to run my first batch of .223's

Finally got a factory crimp die for .223 (and 06) a few months ago and with the semester and finals week coming to a close i am getting ready to spend some much needed quality time with my press...and guns.

ANYwho...the papers in the Lee factory crimp die boxes (.223 and 06) say "trim to length not critical"...am i to take this to mean i can skip the tedious process of trimming? Its all once fired PMC brass.

(even tho i bought the lee "zip trim" with my last load of goodies)

I always put my shells in a lee hand trimmer just in case and I never crimp but im a newbie myself so others may direct you differently. Have fun . Peace

locutus 12-12-2012 10:51 PM

You will need to trim less, if indeed at all. I still trim grossly long cases, but case length is really not critical.

You should never have to trin once fired.

Congratulations on a very handy accessory. I use them for all semi-auto pistol loading as well.

bonney 12-12-2012 11:39 PM

can't crimp except bullets with a crimping cannelure, or you'll bulge case necks and cause malfunctions and really poor accuracy. If a "long" case gets crimped, same thing, a bulged case neck. "too short' cases will not be crimped, if the crimp die is set to properly crimp a "normal length" casing. If cases have just been trimmed, or are once fired, deburring inside and outside of case mouths must be done. can be set up to be done very swiftly, tho, with the deburring tool chucked into a handheld electric drill, clamped in the vise, holding the cases in a gloved hand. :-)

locutus 12-13-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonney (Post 1049410)
can't crimp except bullets with a crimping cannelure, or you'll bulge case necks and cause malfunctions and really poor accuracy. If a "long" case gets crimped, same thing, a bulged case neck. "too short' cases will not be crimped, if the crimp die is set to properly crimp a "normal length" casing. If cases have just been trimmed, or are once fired, deburring inside and outside of case mouths must be done. can be set up to be done very swiftly, tho, with the deburring tool chucked into a handheld electric drill, clamped in the vise, holding the cases in a gloved hand. :-)

Most of that doesn't spply to the LEE FCP. It's a different animal and doesn't need a cannelure.

oldpapps 12-13-2012 06:23 PM

Check a sampling. If any are close to maxing out, trim them all.

After the first firing, unless the chamber is long and I wouldn't think it would be, case stretching shouldn't be much. I fear head separation and run a unfolded large paper clip in to check the web as I am inspecting each case. Makes me feel better and takes no extra time and minimal effort.

The Lee FCD doesn't do a 'role' type crimp, so where a 'normal' crimp is dependent upon uniform case length, the Lee isn't. Uniform length does make for uniform loads and that is better accuracy.

locutus 12-13-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpapps (Post 1050225)
Check a sampling. If any are close to maxing out, trim them all.

After the first firing, unless the chamber is long and I wouldn't think it would be, case stretching shouldn't be much. I fear head separation and run a unfolded large paper clip in to check the web as I am inspecting each case. Makes me feel better and takes no extra time and minimal effort.

The Lee FCD doesn't do a 'role' type crimp, so where a 'normal' crimp is dependent upon uniform case length, the Lee isn't. Uniform length does make for uniform loads and that is better accuracy.

Yes it does. But the difference is so small that for practice shooting it's insignificant,IME.

Catfish 12-13-2012 11:47 PM

I never crimp my 223 ammo. The only ammo I crimp it that with enough recoil to pull bullets in the mag. AND you can crimp bullets that don`t have a cannalure. With bullets that have cannalures I never pay attention to it anyway. I load for max accuracy and seating depth effects that and the cannalure seems like it`s never in the right place.

fmj 12-14-2012 02:36 AM

Thanks guys...just got done running a batch of 100...now to get to the range and test 'em.

Preparing to seat the last one of 100...
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/PC130091.jpg

100 .223 FMJ setting on 24 gr. IMR 4895...

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/PC130095.jpg