WWB JHP for self defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > WWB JHP for self defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default WWB JHP for self defense?

Are these good quality rounds for self defense?

I have seen them from time to time at walmart and they are much cheaper than the hydrashocks I have been using for self defense. I like the idea of carrying a load that I have alot of experience shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have no bad things to say about WWB JHP. I'm sure the BG isn't going to laugh at you because your not carrying hydrashocks. If thats all you can afford at this time, its better than not having anything at all. If you are able to buy hydrashocks, do so. You only get one chance to save your life or others around you. Its a good idea to have the most powerful self defense loads because you don't know who you might have to stop. It could be a 300lb berserker whacked out on PCP who isn't going to feel the shots and the only way your stopping him is ceasing blood flow.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

LIke DN said. If you budget allows the use of the Hydroshocks them use them. If you budget only allows you to use WWB then use that and don't feel bad about it.

Like I always say to hunters. 99% of dead bad guys prefered to be shot with hydroshocks than with WWB. I bullet is a bullet is a bullet. I would not use a FMJ is the only thing.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #4

Why is FMJ so bad for self defense? Smaller wound due to lack of expansion and over penetration Im guessing?

Small permanent cavity?

Last edited by Megaton; 04-05-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
Why is FMJ so bad for self defense? Smaller wound due to lack of expansion and over penetration Im guessing?

Small permanent cavity?
You got it. The BG would die a couple hours later in the hospital after he finished committing his violent crime.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #6

That link pretty much sums it up.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
WWB JHP for self defense?
Sure....why not? I have some for the 45acp.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #8

Just thought I would mention that I shot a box of the ammo in .45acp today and was not impressed with the expansion. I was shooting through some large truck tires and was able to recover many of the rounds for inspection. Not sure if rubber is a good material to use to test this? The rounds did not penetrate nearly as much as FMJ which was punching through both sides of the tire and a pallet without a problem and they did have some expansion, just not anything like what I have seen in pictures of bullets recovered from ballistic gel.

Accuracy and feeding were not a problem.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Wwb jhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
Just thought I would mention that I shot a box of the ammo in .45acp today and was not impressed with the expansion. I was shooting through some large truck tires and was able to recover many of the rounds for inspection. Not sure if rubber is a good material to use to test this? The rounds did not penetrate nearly as much as FMJ which was punching through both sides of the tire and a pallet without a problem and they did have some expansion, just not anything like what I have seen in pictures of bullets recovered from ballistic gel.

Accuracy and feeding were not a problem.
Meg, your not going to get as much performance out of WWB .45 JHP as you will out of some of the higher $ JHP. Just amounts to you get what you pay for. That's NOT to say that these loads won't kill to "Graveyard Dead' results. I do not want to get shot with a .22 short, let alone anything in .45!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #10

I would certainly not like to get shot with them I will tell you that. They proved to penetrate half as much or less than the FMJ, which is as big a concern anything.

They did expand some, and Im sure water jugs would show a huge disparity.