Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   WWB JHP for self defense? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/wwb-jhp-self-defense-12514/)

Megaton 04-03-2009 05:39 AM

WWB JHP for self defense?

Are these good quality rounds for self defense?

I have seen them from time to time at walmart and they are much cheaper than the hydrashocks I have been using for self defense. I like the idea of carrying a load that I have alot of experience shooting.

dnthmn2004 04-03-2009 02:37 PM

I have no bad things to say about WWB JHP. I'm sure the BG isn't going to laugh at you because your not carrying hydrashocks. If thats all you can afford at this time, its better than not having anything at all. If you are able to buy hydrashocks, do so. You only get one chance to save your life or others around you. Its a good idea to have the most powerful self defense loads because you don't know who you might have to stop. It could be a 300lb berserker whacked out on PCP who isn't going to feel the shots and the only way your stopping him is ceasing blood flow.

cpttango30 04-03-2009 02:44 PM

LIke DN said. If you budget allows the use of the Hydroshocks them use them. If you budget only allows you to use WWB then use that and don't feel bad about it.

Like I always say to hunters. 99% of dead bad guys prefered to be shot with hydroshocks than with WWB. I bullet is a bullet is a bullet. I would not use a FMJ is the only thing.

Megaton 04-05-2009 08:04 AM

Why is FMJ so bad for self defense? Smaller wound due to lack of expansion and over penetration Im guessing?

Small permanent cavity?

dnthmn2004 04-05-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaton (Post 91172)
Why is FMJ so bad for self defense? Smaller wound due to lack of expansion and over penetration Im guessing?

Small permanent cavity?

You got it. The BG would die a couple hours later in the hospital after he finished committing his violent crime.

Megaton 04-08-2009 01:08 AM

That link pretty much sums it up.

Ram Rod 04-08-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

WWB JHP for self defense?
Sure....why not? I have some for the 45acp.

Megaton 04-30-2009 10:49 PM

Just thought I would mention that I shot a box of the ammo in .45acp today and was not impressed with the expansion. I was shooting through some large truck tires and was able to recover many of the rounds for inspection. Not sure if rubber is a good material to use to test this? The rounds did not penetrate nearly as much as FMJ which was punching through both sides of the tire and a pallet without a problem and they did have some expansion, just not anything like what I have seen in pictures of bullets recovered from ballistic gel.

Accuracy and feeding were not a problem.

BILLYBOB44 05-01-2009 12:50 AM

Wwb jhp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaton (Post 100716)
Just thought I would mention that I shot a box of the ammo in .45acp today and was not impressed with the expansion. I was shooting through some large truck tires and was able to recover many of the rounds for inspection. Not sure if rubber is a good material to use to test this? The rounds did not penetrate nearly as much as FMJ which was punching through both sides of the tire and a pallet without a problem and they did have some expansion, just not anything like what I have seen in pictures of bullets recovered from ballistic gel.

Accuracy and feeding were not a problem.

Meg, your not going to get as much performance out of WWB .45 JHP as you will out of some of the higher $ JHP. Just amounts to you get what you pay for. That's NOT to say that these loads won't kill to "Graveyard Dead' results. I do not want to get shot with a .22 short, let alone anything in .45!:eek::eek:

Megaton 05-01-2009 01:49 AM

I would certainly not like to get shot with them I will tell you that. They proved to penetrate half as much or less than the FMJ, which is as big a concern anything.

They did expand some, and Im sure water jugs would show a huge disparity.