Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Wrong primer now what??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wrong primer now what??

Need some advise/help. Loaded about 250 rounds of 45 ACP and realized I was using large rifle primes and not large pistol primers. I have set them aside and don't know what to do with them now. I'm thinking they should not be used correct. Has anyone ever used a reload with the rifle primer instead of the pistol primer. I really don't want to have the gun explode I'm my hands. What would the more experienced person than me do in this situation. Thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You're going to have to pull them apart and get the components back. Press the primers back out nice and easy. Put the right primer in and rebuild the loads. Tedious work but the safest way. I'm sure some have done the same thing and shot them but not me. My reloading guru normally loads LR primers for .44mag but those are entirely different pressures and FPS.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 583 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Default Wrong primer now what??

I don't know, but you should include powder & weight + bullet & weight for those with the experience to advise.
You can pull the bullet to save the powder & bullet. I would be worried to decap, so toss the brass.
Lesson learned!

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 346 Times on 236 Posts

Well I made the same mistake kinda once before I used magnum pistol primers in regular pistol cartridges but I used Sam anyhow obviously had a little more higher pressure I'm sure but function fine.
I don't know if I was a good thing or not but by the time I figured it out already shot some . so I just went ahead and finished that batch.
Be patient I'm sure you will get a lot more responses

Plus I never load my cartridges at the higher spectrum anyhow so I figured it was fine

My 2 cents

EZ

Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I agree pull them apart and rebuild. No need to toss the brass just deprime slowly and all will be fine. I've had to do it before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #6

Liked 640 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 387

I've been wondering; what is the differences in primers? Not knowing much about it, it seems pretty obvious to me that the bigger the cartridge/round/load, the bigger and more powerful the primer should be. But are they all the same size? And how much different in power are they really? How about a list of primer sizes, and the kinds of ammo they go in? (Just a general reference)

Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1390 Times on 995 Posts
Likes Given: 272

I deprimed a few with live primers over the years but nothing like that many. Usually it was when a primer got turned around and seated backwards. I can't advise anyone else but I would probably break the rounds down and when I got the bullet and power out I would load them in the gun one at a time and pop the primer then procede as normal. All safety rules still apply as a primer has considerable power by its self. If you don't have a kinetic bullet puller its time to get one and its Hammer Time.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

Liked 219 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Small rifle primer and small pistol primers are the same dimensions. If they are interchanged you run into a pressure issue and a Cup thickness issue.

Large Pistol Primers are shallower that Large Rifle primers. Not only do you have the same issue listed above with small primers, you also have the fact that he Rifle primer will not be seated below flush or even flush, too tall.

Pull em.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
but I would probably break the rounds down and when I got the bullet and power out I would load them in the gun one at a time and pop the primer then procede as normal. All safety rules still apply as a primer has considerable power by its self. If you don't have a kinetic bullet puller its time to get one and its Hammer Time.
this.

if you dont want to mangle yourself stupidly, just pull the bullets and powder and pop the primers one ata time by firing them in the pistol.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-11-2014 at 09:58 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #10

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Rifle primers are much harder than pistol primers. There is the possibility that your gun would not set them off. But then there is also the possibility of a slam fire. Rifle primers are a little taller than pistol. So they do stick out of the case. It would be possible for the slide to come forward and hit the primer before you pull the trigger. I have had an sks empty the mag that way once. You need to pull them. Not worth the risk for a few dollars worth of primers.

EZ2b. I use mag pistol primers for everything. I do not load to max loads though. I use starting loads for everything but magnum cartridges.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.