working a load

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > working a load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default working a load

In your opinion, what shows better results in tightening up a group when working up a load? Increases in charge as you get to max or lengthening oal and getting the bullet closer to the lans and grooves?

Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, SR40, SR9c, 22/45, 10-22, 77MKII, PT 1911

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Each gun is different. I usually start out loading .020 off the lands,and I'll load from the low end to maximum powder charges,always looking for pressure signs on the brass and primers.
I always step up in 1 grain increments to begin with.When I find where the rifle shoots good,then I'll load from 1 grain lower to 1 grain higher in 2/10ths of a grain increments to find the sweet spot.
Then I'll try different primers,and when I find what works best,then I'll play with the OAL some more.
Most of my guns shoot best with the bullets from .015-.035" off the lands.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

+1 to all TX said. I don't yet reload but have done alot of research and most seem to follow similar logic powder first, then Distance from lands.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Whatever you do, only change one thing at a time. If you change powder charge and bullet length together, you wont know which change made the difference on target.

I like to start with my bullets just touching the lands and work up powder charge. My past experience is that bullets do not like to have to jump from the case mouth to the lands. They dont like to be started out smashed into the lands either.When i find the velocity that the barrel likes, then i will play with oal to see where the bullets like to be launched from. If you have a chronograph and change bullets in the future, you can use that ballpark velocity as a starting point for working up a new load. It is a nice little shortcut that will usually save some time.

Keep in mind that the more you shoot, the more the throat erodes. So as time goes on, that sweet spot you find for your oal will have to be crept out longer to match throat erosion. Higher velocity calibers like 22BR, 22-250 and 220 swift will accelerate barrel and throat wear when pushed closer to max loadings.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

In many guns, the brand and type of primers make a difference.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketshooter
In many guns, the brand and type of primers make a difference.
Could you possibly elaborate with some examples? I'm curious because I've heard many people state they see little to no difference between primers. Is it more often semi's or bolt guns? I'd imagine semi's.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22 View Post
Could you possibly elaborate with some examples? I'm curious because I've heard many people state they see little to no difference between primers. Is it more often semi's or bolt guns? I'd imagine semi's.
Trying different primers can show some great differences in Grouping,POI of the same loadings of ammo.
Each gun powder has a different burn rate,and some primers work better with them,and also the fill % of the case with whatever type of powder that your trying to use.
Faster burning powders don't seem to be affected as much with primer changes,but I've noticed some decent changes using slower burning powders in some of my rifles,up to .500" differences in grouping sizes with a simple primer change.

Each brand of primer uses their own priming compound,so it's like everything else,they have different characteristics with each brand.
Under certain conditions Brand A works better than Brand C & D,but Brand B & E make things worse shooting the same exact powder charge and OAL of the cartridge.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5667 Times on 2959 Posts
Likes Given: 375

txhillbilly, have you ever tried wolf primers?? ive been getting outstanding results with them in my 223 loads. they turn in the same results as cci primers. 308 i havent done much load building but they seem excellent

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
txhillbilly, have you ever tried wolf primers?? ive been getting outstanding results with them in my 223 loads. they turn in the same results as cci primers. 308 i havent done much load building but they seem excellent
Yes I have Jon,The Wolf primers have been very good for me. I've always had good luck with Winchester primers,as well as Remington,and CCI.
I have a few boxes of Magtech,but they haven't impressed me with anything yet.
Personally,I think most of the Benchrest primers are a joke,just an extra expense in reloading,and I've never seen any advantage of using them over a standard primer.
I have seen some improvements in using Magnum primers with the slower burn rate powders over using a Standard primer with several loads.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Increases in charge as you get to max or lengthening oal and getting the bullet closer to the lans and grooves?

Basically, yes.