Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Wolf Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wolf Ammo?

Please excuse the fact that I'm a "noob" and I'm curious about a lot of things.
A few days ago I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and as usual i looked to see what ammo they had in stock, I was looking for .380 but it like finding a left handed knife sharpenerhttp://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Any way I recently bought a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II and love to practice with it. I saw they had some "Wolf" .45 Auto 230 gr FMJ for $19.99 for a box of 50, so I bought a couple. But, when I got home I opened the box and saw the ugliest looking ammo I've seen. I looked at the box again and noticed it said "steel case". I've read some adverse comments about Wolf and I'm wondering if it will negatively effect my Kimber. The other thing I noticed, that I didn't like, was that it's made in Russia. Comments?

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I shoot Wolf ammo alot,some guns like it-some don't. It is decent practice ammo,but some extractors don't like the steel cases. Just clean your gun good after shooting any of the steel cased ammo,as they are coated and it will build up in your chamber after you shoot.
As far as being from Russia,it's no big deal to me.If the U.S. mfgs would sell their ammo at the same prices,then I'd buy it if I could find any.

I reload,so all my good ammo is loaded by myself.But for just plinking or practice I'll shoot anything I can find for a decent price.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

steel cased ammo can have problem in AR type weapons where the tolerances are close and the heat is high. the lacquer on the cases will aneal to the chamber causeing problems with failure on extrraction it will sometimes rip the heads of the cases off. thats primarly where wolf gets its bad rap.

it is dirty it has varrying powered loads and it is cheap. the only postives are that it is cheap and it goes bang when you pull the trigger. in a .45 it should be ok as long as you take really good care of your chamber it is possible for the lacquer to build up in the cahmber over time if you dont clean it real well.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
Please excuse the fact that I'm a "noob" and I'm curious about a lot of things.
A few days ago I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and as usual i looked to see what ammo they had in stock, I was looking for .380 but it like finding a left handed knife sharpenerhttp://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Any way I recently bought a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II and love to practice with it. I saw they had some "Wolf" .45 Auto 230 gr FMJ for $19.99 for a box of 50, so I bought a couple. But, when I got home I opened the box and saw the ugliest looking ammo I've seen. I looked at the box again and noticed it said "steel case". I've read some adverse comments about Wolf and I'm wondering if it will negatively effect my Kimber. The other thing I noticed, that I didn't like, was that it's made in Russia. Comments?
Most of the pros, it's cheap, and cons, steel casing and extractor wear, have been answered. Biggest issue is that many ranges do not permit steel casings mostly due to the need to sort it from brass. I do not believe that steel casings can be reloaded so it is just trash to them.

Personally, if I had a top of the line Kimber I wouldn't risk damaging it with cheap ammo to save a few bucks, JMHO.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I go through 1000+ rounds of Wolf a year. Rarely have a problem with it.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Wolf gets a bad rap. NO, it's not coated in lacquer, it is however protected with a polymer-coating. And no, it doesn't crud up your hot chambers (unless you are Class 3 wasting ammo, and then why would you shop for cheap?)

Here's cane's take on eastern block ammo (and guns) Make them cheap and fast! The rifleman isn't going to wear it out, hell he's going to die before he needs to clean his weapon. Fast and cheap, don't gotta last! If they can make 20 AK's to our one AR so be it. If the rifleman wears out his AK all he needs to do is pick up one off his dead comrade!
It is a misconception that steel-cased ammunition increases wear on the chamber or extractor of firearms. The steel used in cases is a mild steel. It is soft in comparison to the steel used in firearm components. The steel cases are coated with a polymer so no direct steel-to-steel contact is made.

The disadvantages of using a steel case is that it is not as "elastic" as brass. This produces a less than ideal gas seal when fired. Steel cases are not reloadable. This is primarily due to the fact that the commies use a Berdan primer to discourage reloading of ammunition.

I have fired over 2K of Wolf and Golden Bear steel ammo in both 223 and 7.62. I keep a clean weapon and have not had issue 1.

I have had a problem with Wolf 30 carbine in my Ruger Blackhawk. Because of this issue I will not run my 1911s with anything but brass or brass/nickel. YMMV

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Wolf gets a bad rap. NO, it's not coated in lacquer, it is however protected with a polymer-coating. And no, it doesn't crud up your hot chambers (unless you are Class 3 wasting ammo, and then why would you shop for cheap?)
Here's cane's take on eastern block ammo (and guns) Make them cheap and fast! The rifleman isn't going to wear it out, hell he's going to die before he needs to clean his weapon. Fast and cheap, don't gotta last! If they can make 20 AK's to our one AR so be it. If the rifleman wears out his AK all he needs to do is pick up one off his dead comrade!
It is a misconception that steel-cased ammunition increases wear on the chamber or extractor of firearms. The steel used in cases is a mild steel. It is soft in comparison to the steel used in firearm components. The steel cases are coated with a polymer so no direct steel-to-steel contact is made.

The disadvantages of using a steel case is that it is not as "elastic" as brass. This produces a less than ideal gas seal when fired. Steel cases are not reloadable. This is primarily due to the fact that the commies use a Berdan primer to discourage reloading of ammunition.

I have fired over 2K of Wolf and Golden Bear steel ammo in both 223 and 7.62. I keep a clean weapon and have not had issue 1.

I have had a problem with Wolf 30 carbine in my Ruger Blackhawk. Because of this issue I will not run my 1911s with anything but brass or brass/nickel. YMMV
canebrake,
Your last comment was exactly what I was looking for.A bout 3 weeks ago I bought my first 1911, a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. I think it would be a sin to put it at risk for any adverse action. Maybe I con use the full boxes as paperweights. I should have known when I saw the price.
Thanks for sharing your insight.
jackg

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

actually wolf ammo comes either way. polymer or lacquer. it depends on when it was made. there is a LOT of lacquered casings floating around. it isnt the steel that the cases are made of that cause damage its the deposits from the coating on the casings in the case of lacquered rounds which are still around. new wolf ammo does have the poly coating older uses lacquer. almost all other surplus steel casing uses lacquer. lacquer will deposit itself on in the chamber of a weapon mostly this occurs in AR's due to the tighter tolerances than the AK weapons.

my point was that in a weapon like a .45 auto just more attention to cleaning is all that is required. i wouldnt run it in my ruger SR or my SP1 or my dpms M4.

the problem you were having in your carbine pistol is because the cases in longer rifle caliber cases tend to anneal themselves to the chambers of most weapons. whether it is polymer coated or lacquer coated doesnt matter it has the same net result. steel cased ammo only works well in certain weapons and usually its shorter pistol ammo like 40 9m 45. cases that are longer or have tighter tolerences like 223 308 30carb will exhibit occasional issues with extraction and or case sticking.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #9

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

I use some Barnuel .223 in my AR. Shoots fine. Wolf is an odd company. Not all of it is made at the same plant. Wolf Gold is actually Prvi Partisan ammo, they just charge more.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That Natchez shooter supply place had the aluminum cased Blazer .45acp for $20/box the other day; maybe that would be a suitable alternative?
CCI Blazer 45 ACP 230 gr FMJ Ammunition 50/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Dead Bears, the only good kind.