Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Wolf Ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/wolf-ammo-20329/)

jackg 11-22-2009 08:09 PM

Wolf Ammo?

Please excuse the fact that I'm a "noob" and I'm curious about a lot of things.
A few days ago I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and as usual i looked to see what ammo they had in stock, I was looking for .380 but it like finding a left handed knife sharpenerhttp://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Any way I recently bought a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II and love to practice with it. I saw they had some "Wolf" .45 Auto 230 gr FMJ for $19.99 for a box of 50, so I bought a couple. But, when I got home I opened the box and saw the ugliest looking ammo I've seen. I looked at the box again and noticed it said "steel case". I've read some adverse comments about Wolf and I'm wondering if it will negatively effect my Kimber. The other thing I noticed, that I didn't like, was that it's made in Russia. Comments?

Txhillbilly 11-22-2009 08:31 PM

I shoot Wolf ammo alot,some guns like it-some don't. It is decent practice ammo,but some extractors don't like the steel cases. Just clean your gun good after shooting any of the steel cased ammo,as they are coated and it will build up in your chamber after you shoot.
As far as being from Russia,it's no big deal to me.If the U.S. mfgs would sell their ammo at the same prices,then I'd buy it if I could find any.

I reload,so all my good ammo is loaded by myself.But for just plinking or practice I'll shoot anything I can find for a decent price.

JonM 11-23-2009 08:50 PM

steel cased ammo can have problem in AR type weapons where the tolerances are close and the heat is high. the lacquer on the cases will aneal to the chamber causeing problems with failure on extrraction it will sometimes rip the heads of the cases off. thats primarly where wolf gets its bad rap.

it is dirty it has varrying powered loads and it is cheap. the only postives are that it is cheap and it goes bang when you pull the trigger. in a .45 it should be ok as long as you take really good care of your chamber it is possible for the lacquer to build up in the cahmber over time if you dont clean it real well.

Jpyle 11-23-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackg (Post 189425)
Please excuse the fact that I'm a "noob" and I'm curious about a lot of things.
A few days ago I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and as usual i looked to see what ammo they had in stock, I was looking for .380 but it like finding a left handed knife sharpenerhttp://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Any way I recently bought a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II and love to practice with it. I saw they had some "Wolf" .45 Auto 230 gr FMJ for $19.99 for a box of 50, so I bought a couple. But, when I got home I opened the box and saw the ugliest looking ammo I've seen. I looked at the box again and noticed it said "steel case". I've read some adverse comments about Wolf and I'm wondering if it will negatively effect my Kimber. The other thing I noticed, that I didn't like, was that it's made in Russia. Comments?

Most of the pros, it's cheap, and cons, steel casing and extractor wear, have been answered. Biggest issue is that many ranges do not permit steel casings mostly due to the need to sort it from brass. I do not believe that steel casings can be reloaded so it is just trash to them.

Personally, if I had a top of the line Kimber I wouldn't risk damaging it with cheap ammo to save a few bucks, JMHO.

notdku 11-23-2009 10:17 PM

I go through 1000+ rounds of Wolf a year. Rarely have a problem with it.

canebrake 11-24-2009 02:03 AM

Wolf gets a bad rap. NO, it's not coated in lacquer, it is however protected with a polymer-coating. And no, it doesn't crud up your hot chambers (unless you are Class 3 wasting ammo, and then why would you shop for cheap?)
Here's cane's take on eastern block ammo (and guns) Make them cheap and fast! The rifleman isn't going to wear it out, hell he's going to die before he needs to clean his weapon. Fast and cheap, don't gotta last! If they can make 20 AK's to our one AR so be it. If the rifleman wears out his AK all he needs to do is pick up one off his dead comrade!
It is a misconception that steel-cased ammunition increases wear on the chamber or extractor of firearms. The steel used in cases is a mild steel. It is soft in comparison to the steel used in firearm components. The steel cases are coated with a polymer so no direct steel-to-steel contact is made.

The disadvantages of using a steel case is that it is not as "elastic" as brass. This produces a less than ideal gas seal when fired. Steel cases are not reloadable. This is primarily due to the fact that the commies use a Berdan primer to discourage reloading of ammunition.

I have fired over 2K of Wolf and Golden Bear steel ammo in both 223 and 7.62. I keep a clean weapon and have not had issue 1.

I have had a problem with Wolf 30 carbine in my Ruger Blackhawk. Because of this issue I will not run my 1911s with anything but brass or brass/nickel. YMMV

jackg 11-24-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 189974)
Wolf gets a bad rap. NO, it's not coated in lacquer, it is however protected with a polymer-coating. And no, it doesn't crud up your hot chambers (unless you are Class 3 wasting ammo, and then why would you shop for cheap?)
Here's cane's take on eastern block ammo (and guns) Make them cheap and fast! The rifleman isn't going to wear it out, hell he's going to die before he needs to clean his weapon. Fast and cheap, don't gotta last! If they can make 20 AK's to our one AR so be it. If the rifleman wears out his AK all he needs to do is pick up one off his dead comrade!
It is a misconception that steel-cased ammunition increases wear on the chamber or extractor of firearms. The steel used in cases is a mild steel. It is soft in comparison to the steel used in firearm components. The steel cases are coated with a polymer so no direct steel-to-steel contact is made.

The disadvantages of using a steel case is that it is not as "elastic" as brass. This produces a less than ideal gas seal when fired. Steel cases are not reloadable. This is primarily due to the fact that the commies use a Berdan primer to discourage reloading of ammunition.

I have fired over 2K of Wolf and Golden Bear steel ammo in both 223 and 7.62. I keep a clean weapon and have not had issue 1.

I have had a problem with Wolf 30 carbine in my Ruger Blackhawk. Because of this issue I will not run my 1911s with anything but brass or brass/nickel. YMMV

canebrake,
Your last comment was exactly what I was looking for.A bout 3 weeks ago I bought my first 1911, a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. I think it would be a sin to put it at risk for any adverse action. Maybe I con use the full boxes as paperweights. I should have known when I saw the price.
Thanks for sharing your insight.
jackg

JonM 11-24-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 189974)

actually wolf ammo comes either way. polymer or lacquer. it depends on when it was made. there is a LOT of lacquered casings floating around. it isnt the steel that the cases are made of that cause damage its the deposits from the coating on the casings in the case of lacquered rounds which are still around. new wolf ammo does have the poly coating older uses lacquer. almost all other surplus steel casing uses lacquer. lacquer will deposit itself on in the chamber of a weapon mostly this occurs in AR's due to the tighter tolerances than the AK weapons.

my point was that in a weapon like a .45 auto just more attention to cleaning is all that is required. i wouldnt run it in my ruger SR or my SP1 or my dpms M4.

the problem you were having in your carbine pistol is because the cases in longer rifle caliber cases tend to anneal themselves to the chambers of most weapons. whether it is polymer coated or lacquer coated doesnt matter it has the same net result. steel cased ammo only works well in certain weapons and usually its shorter pistol ammo like 40 9m 45. cases that are longer or have tighter tolerences like 223 308 30carb will exhibit occasional issues with extraction and or case sticking.

jpattersonnh 11-24-2009 07:38 PM

I use some Barnuel .223 in my AR. Shoots fine. Wolf is an odd company. Not all of it is made at the same plant. Wolf Gold is actually Prvi Partisan ammo, they just charge more.

orangello 11-24-2009 08:23 PM

That Natchez shooter supply place had the aluminum cased Blazer .45acp for $20/box the other day; maybe that would be a suitable alternative?
CCI Blazer 45 ACP 230 gr FMJ Ammunition 50/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies