Wolf .223 Ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Wolf .223 Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Wolf .223 Ammo

Gentlemen, I need your help, yet again. I have about 400 rds. of Wolf 62 gr. FMJ (black box) ammo. I tried shooting it in my WASR 3. I had a gunsmith replace the springs on the extractor. It was a jam-o-matic, but now shoots fine (weak double coil extractor spring).

Well, it shoots REM UMC 55 gr. non-stop, without any issues, but after about 60 rds. of Wolf 62 gr. FMJ (black box) ammo, I experience nothing but FTE's after every round! A guy at the range today said something about adjusting the gas block/port?? Any clue as to what he was talking about or what I should do? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 AM   #2

Not sure as to the gas block adjustment. Most FTF and FTE problems in the WASR-3 stem from bad magazines. I would reccomend picking up some Wieger Magazines. They are about the only reliable mags for the 5.56 Ak's. FWIW, You can get 5.56 ammo (Reloads from DRS in LC and/or WIN brass) for not much more than you pay for Wolf. It's cleaner, more accurate, made in America, and is reloadable.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=1000rds-223-drs-55gr-fmj-ammo&cName=223-556-fmj-ammo

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Old 04-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Scoutman. I currently use Weiger mags and the Romanian version of Weiger mags. The both feed great, but it's the Wolf ammo. I never heard of adjusting the "bleeding" of the gas. He thought it would definitely help.

Last edited by ARnoob; 04-14-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My RRA and DPMS AR's instruction manuals both warn against using Wolf or any other steel cased laquer-coated ammo. The DPMS manual went on to warn against Chinese, Israeli, Portugese, and a few other foreign makes. They specifically mention a problem caused by the laquer when it heats up and then gets pushed into the chamber pores for that brief millisecond during combustion when the case expands and grips the chamber. It can cause extraction problems, and stuck cases, as well as a build-up to form in the chamber which will eventually cause all kinds of problems. I won't use steel cased ammo in either gun after reading that warning. It would void the warranty.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #5

I have exactly the problems that 357mag mentioned. I have also had about a half dozen case head seperations about 5 years ago with Wolf. I have not shot it in a semi auto since. Steel cased, laquered ammo seems to be nothing but trouble in a semi auto.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I returned the WASR 3 and bought a Springfield XD 45. I just got sick of dealing with the WASR 3. Anyway, I'm looking forward to firing the XD!!! Thanks for your help!