Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Winchester White Box Kabooms (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/winchester-white-box-kabooms-29646/)

crazycharlie2 07-24-2010 07:42 PM

Winchester White Box Kabooms

How many of you have PERSONALLY had kabooms with this pistol ammo? What caliber, bullet weight and what pistol manufacturer? I'm not interested in hearsay.

noylj 07-24-2010 09:42 PM

KaBooms

All the KaBooms I keep "hearing" about are Glocks and .40S&W reloads.
Unless some other gun leaves rectangular primer marks, I have found some .40S&W fired from a Glock that showed slight bulges.
If white box has any KaBooms, and as I said I haven't heard of any, it is probably within known statistics for factory ammo but since EVERYONE shoots WWB, they might tend to show more.

stalkingbear 07-24-2010 10:20 PM

I shoot winchester white box when I'm in need of brass and do not know of any kabooms directly associated with the ammo's fault.

Bigdog57 07-26-2010 12:01 AM

Never had or known locally of a 'kaboom' associated with WWB ammo.
BUT.... I once did have a box of WWB 9mm Luger, and experienced TWO blown primers in my Maadi Cadet pistol (commercial Helwan). Checked the box, and three more rounds had their primers in their pockets SIDEWAYS. No bull. I refused to buy WWB 9mm for years after.
Also, I have seen new boxes of WWB .45ACP with packaging glue stuck to a few top-most rounds in the box. Had to be rubbed off before the shooter could load them.

I chalk it all up to poor QC. This is personal first-hand experience, NOT hearsay.

NEVER had a problem with Rem/UMC.

DrumJunkie 07-26-2010 01:15 AM

I've never seen any WBW loads go wrong. Most I hear have to do with the Glock unsupported chamber thing. Through in my Glock days I never seen a case that was bulged and I used tons of factory and reloads. So I'm not too keen on the bad chamber thing being a downside to a Glock. Now that I think about it I can't remember hearing any modern factory ammo having problems like this. Seen some wore out chambers leading to buldges but those mostly where well abused rifles.

CA357 07-26-2010 03:29 AM

I've used it for years with no issues. I've shot 9mm and .45ACP. I don't know about the other calibers, just the two I've used.

spittinfire 07-26-2010 03:37 AM

I've shot 45, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 mag, 44 mag which adds up to I don't know how many thousands of rounds without a single problem. The 45 has a couple thousand to itself, same for the 9.

M14sRock 07-26-2010 06:52 AM

I've had no issues with WWB and I shoot a lot of it (a few thousand rds per year). I have had a few rds of the USA (Win) 7.62x39 fail to fire, though. All through my CZ527.

Many years ago I saw a box of PMC .357Mag that had all 50 primers upside down. Turned me off PMC for many years.

My shooting partner is with a Federal agency currently using Federal 135gr+P .40SW. In the last year or so, they have had 4 guns (HK's) KB shooting this ammo, and several squibs. The squibs have no powder residue or smoke inside the brass, indicating there was no powder loaded. Prior to transitioning to the Fed 135gr .40's they used 9mm 124gr Speer Gold Dots for a couple of years and before that the Win 147gr SXT for a few years. Never had a single problem with any of the 9mm ammo.

Does that stop me from using Federal ammo? Not at all. Having a dozen defective rds out of a couple of million fired is a pretty low failure rate.

danf_fl 07-26-2010 08:31 AM

I have never had any problems with WBW. (.38spl, .45, 9mm, .40)
But I don't shoot Glocks. ;)

spittinfire 07-26-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 320410)
But I don't shoot Glocks. ;)

That is the key right there, my friend.