Will this ammo shortage ever end - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Will this ammo shortage ever end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Ya ever wonder if Obama is actually on the payroll of the small arms industy???
Locutus, you seriously need to go wash your mouth out with soap and take the tin foil hat off! LOL! jK!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

During the Viet Nam era components seemed to be spotty. I'm not quite sure why at times you could find anything and other times ---. A person got used to switching primers and powders quite regularly and not of your own volition.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Will it end? Yes, at some point. When will that be? Most likely not less than 8-12 months down the road. But, at the same time, I think you'll see a permanent increase in price. Not the current prices, but after things settle down and rounds are back in stock I think you'll see cases of 1000 in say, the .223/5.56 caliber at $400. I don't find it likely that it will ever be under
.40 a round for brass AR ammo anymore. The days of inexpensive shooting seem to be over. I mean, there are many, many vendors out there quoting 8 months on backorder or more. Given that the frenzy will continue eating up any amount of stock that can be shipped for at the least, say another 60-120 days (and considering now that it has expanded into almost all handgun rounds on top of the .223/5.56 and .308, .300) If stocks don't start to increase, I think you will see shotgun rounds start running short. There is only so much that can be made at any given time. They'll make more of the most profitable rounds in the short run, while shipping enough of the other rounds to keep the market alive. It's the end of pricing as we knew it.
You're right. I spoke to an employee at WalMart and it seems a lot of the store folks are played as bird dogs for people wanting ammo. They have a network of people they'll call when a shipment comes in. Folks are going to consume ammo as they see it put on the shelf out of frenzy and already, people are overshooting the runway buying it at ridiculous prices to where they'll come up short on bill paying day. I saw a vendor at a gun show last week selling .223 for $1 a pull (1000 rds for $995.00) and some were actually buying it. I dunno...that's nuts to me but, to each his/her own.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #34
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
You're right. I spoke to an employee at WalMart and it seems a lot of the store folks are played as bird dogs for people wanting ammo. They have a network of people they'll call when a shipment comes in. Folks are going to consume ammo as they see it put on the shelf out of frenzy and already, people are overshooting the runway buying it at ridiculous prices to where they'll come up short on bill paying day. I saw a vendor at a gun show last week selling .223 for $1 a pull (1000 rds for $995.00) and some were actually buying it. I dunno...that's nuts to me but, to each his/her own.
Sportsman's Warehouse and others at the big stores have kept the prices the same before the election. I got 350 rounds of Blazer CCI Brass ammo in the green small amoo box for $95 estimated.

Not sure about .223/5.56 or .22LR, they are getting slim to none in their shipments. The crowd today was massive, the truck was late.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 01-18-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Correction for ammo in the box

Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
Sportsman's Warehouse and others at the big stores have kept the prices the same before the election. I got 350 rounds of Blazer CCI Brass ammo in the green small amoo box for $95 estimated.

Not sure about .223/5.56 or .22LR, they are getting slim to none in their shipments. The crowd today was massive, the truck was late.

Yup...and the sad thing is, I was told that those trucks aren't allowed to carry very much ammunition at one time either do to the placard issue on explosive freight. That's one of the anchors on ammo getting re-stocked too.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #36

Default whats next

Just an FYI. I drive by Trijicon's quite often at radom times and it seems like the parking lot is always full now-a-days. Got to believe there are a bunch of folks buying scopes to go on their new ARs.

I agree with a prior poster that this panic will pass and you'll be able to buy all the ARs, AR parts and ammo you could possibly want. There will be a ton of folks who will have very expensive ARs collecting dust while they can't pay bills or find out they just don't shoot. I'm saving my pennies and plan on picking up a couple nice rifles in a year or so. The ammo shortage thing will end sooner than later. There just aren't that many folks that can afford to continue to stockpile ammo forever - just my view.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #37

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Both gun shops here in town have lines every day before they open. There is no parking availible in either lot till they close. They are both large shops w/ a few hundred handguns and 5 racks that hold 100 rifles each + 2 walls. They were offering bottom dollar for trades last summer. Bet they are cleaning up now.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.