Why a three die set? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Why a three die set?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

I use a three die set for most of my reloading. I use a progressive for 45 ACP. I use a single stage for everything else. I can go through 200 rounds in a single competition. Plus I try to shoot once a week on my own. There is another 50-100 rounds. So I probably shoot 400 to 600 rounds in a month. That is just in my competition guns.

When I shoot at an IDPA or USPSA match it is not uncommon for me to have two rounds within an inch of each other on 10-15 yard shots. And that is shooting pretty fast. That is plenty accurate for me.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Setting a crimp/seat on one die can be tricky if you don't understand that your not crimping... crimp is a bad word to use since it implies your pinching the case into the round. The case should never be "crimped" smaller than the original sized diameter.

Some dies offer rolling capability and even that is often waaaaay over done.

A roll "crimp" should only be rolled .010 or less into a canelure bullet only.

Bullets are held in by friction only never by the crimp. Roll crimping on cannelures prevents bullet setback or the bullet pulling out on recoil.

Taper crimping returns a belled case mouth to the original sized diameter.

Reducing the diameter of the case mouth by "crimping" below original diameter actually loosens the bullet and then bad things occur

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
What I don't understand is why die makers make a combination seat/crimp die when they all acknowledge that a separate crimp die is the best way to go.
Cuz some folks are just to cheap to buy a three die set!

You can set the combo die to seat, but not crimp. then when all rounds are seated, you can back the seating stem out and use the crimping shoulder in a separate operation.

PITA, but if you're going for cheap it works.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 04-15-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #14

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The 3 die set DOES contain a crimp die. The crimp feature is incorporated into the seating die. I prefer to do taper crimping in a separate step. This can be accomplished by screwing the seating stem in far enough that it does not crimp and then screwing the stem out and the body in to crimp. As I use a progressive press, I just get a separate taper crimp die.

Ideally a 4 die set is best.
But not all 3 die sets are created equal.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
But not all 3 die sets are created equal.
Very true..

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball