Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Why a three die set? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/why-three-die-set-106187/)

amstutz 04-14-2014 10:33 PM

Why a three die set?

I am wondering why a hand loader would buy a three die set for loading 9mm (or any pistol cartridge). I thought that a final run thru a crimp die was necessary to insure proper chambering of a cartridge. MY UNDERSTANDING is that a three die set (without a crimp die) will not produce a usable cartridge. SO, why so many three die set being sold????

jpattersonnh 04-14-2014 10:43 PM

I use a Redding 3 die set for .44-40. The brass is very thin at the neck and with the 3 die, although it is an extra step, it produces ammo that is simply perfect. For Mass producing 9x19, it would not be necessary, but for competition grade ammo, they are a must.

BtDoctur 04-14-2014 11:01 PM

the 3rd die is the bullet seater/crimper. Comp shooters use the crimping die in most cases for that perfect cartridge.

therukh 04-14-2014 11:25 PM

3-Die Set

Quote:

Originally Posted by amstutz (Post 1558430)
I am wondering why a hand loader would buy a three die set for loading 9mm (or any pistol cartridge). I thought that a final run thru a crimp die was necessary to insure proper chambering of a cartridge. MY UNDERSTANDING is that a three die set (without a crimp die) will not produce a usable cartridge. SO, why so many three die set being sold????

I now use Dillon exclusively so I can't really address 3-die sets without a crimp die. I like the idea of my Dillon using the third-die taper crimping the 9mm or any semi-auto pistol round. I have used other brands and die sets in the past and found that seating and crimping the bullet in one die didn't work well for me. Of course, for revolver rounds, a roll crimp is nice to keep the bullets from backing out of the brass, especially for heavy recoiling rounds like magnums, but I like seating the bullet first and then crimping the round last. I used my Square Deal press till I wore it out from use and Dillon replaced everything on it for free and I'm still using it. I have absolutely no problems with the rounds it produces. They work every time. I don't understand why one would buy a 3-die set that didn't have a crimp die.

rjd3282 04-14-2014 11:47 PM

What I don't understand is why die makers make a combination seat/crimp die when they all acknowledge that a separate crimp die is the best way to go.

robocop10mm 04-15-2014 12:58 AM

The 3 die set DOES contain a crimp die. The crimp feature is incorporated into the seating die. I prefer to do taper crimping in a separate step. This can be accomplished by screwing the seating stem in far enough that it does not crimp and then screwing the stem out and the body in to crimp. As I use a progressive press, I just get a separate taper crimp die.

Ideally a 4 die set is best.

aandabooks 04-15-2014 01:31 AM

I use a Hornady 3 die set for 9mm. I've never had a problem with any of my ammo loading. I'm just taking the belling out from the powder drop die and putting on a taper crimp.

therewolf 04-15-2014 01:34 AM

I'm never in a rush when reloading. I'll also probably

never progress past a single stage press. But I crimp

as a separate step.

I guess if you reload at a faster rate, the seat/crimp

die is better.

I guess a lot depends on whether you reload for enjoyment,

or to create massive loads of ammo.

rjd3282 04-15-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1558651)
I'm never in a rush when reloading. I'll also probably

never progress past a single stage press. But I crimp

as a separate step.

I guess if you reload at a faster rate, the seat/crimp

die is better.

I guess a lot depends on whether you reload for enjoyment,

or to create massive loads of ammo.

I enjoy creating massive loads of ammo. :D

amstutz 04-15-2014 01:54 AM

Thanks very much all good information