why reload?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > why reload?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default why reload?

Why do you reload?
I am gowing to start reloading starting with shotgun shells I. Am in the process of getting a mec 90000 grabber a used one thain on to 9mm
I want to reload. To spend more time with what I like and I would be more proud of also have more controll over what I. Shoot
And it would be better ammo for a little less thain the store price and I would enjoy it more thain the tv as I don't understand what's on tv anymore some of. Thhese relity shows just don't do anything for me
Its. Is also like muzzle loader we pick the primer,powder or pellet,bullet to find the right combo for us so why not with our outhers too
What make. You want to reload

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #2

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy View Post
Why do you reload?
I am gowing to start reloading starting with shotgun shells I. Am in the process of getting a mec 90000 grabber a used one thain on to 9mm
I want to reload. To spend more time with what I like and I would be more proud of also have more controll over what I. Shoot
And it would be better ammo for a little less thain the store price and I would enjoy it more thain the tav as I don't understand what's on tav anymore some of. Thhese relity shows just don't do anything for me
Its. Is also like muzzle loader we pick the primer,powder or pellet,bullet to find the right combo for us so why not with our outhers too
What make. You want to reload
gowing= going
thain=than
controll=control
thhese=these
relity=reality
outhers=others
Learn how to read and write, it may serve you well. Stay w/ factory ammo.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #3

So let's not nit pick each outher
Just beacause I. Can't. Spell good dosent mean I can't reload and shoot well. So please be kind. To me a lefty thanks

Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I started reloading to save money in my pistol shooting, same for shotguns. It then turned into making my rifles more accurate. I then wanted to load my own hunting rounds, hunting with pistols soon followed as I got more interested in magnum handguns. Now the urge to reload is hard to fight....I save money on my range rounds but spend the money saved on my hunting and target loads. I am having a lot more fun though.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #5

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

To make shotgun cartridges cost effective, I'd need to shoot them more. Rifles, I started hand loading because I shoot metric calibers. There was/is no decent U.S. made ammo. I can hand load for 1/5th the price of premium ammo. Barnes are .76++ per Bullet, Sierra are .26++ per bullet. Add in primers and powder. $1.00 and .50 cents.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9167 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

I mostly reload to get ammo that I cannot buy easily (185 gr .357 Mag, for example) sometimes just because the weather sucks, and I can't fish, hunt, ot target shoot. Sometimes it is for the $$$, since .348 Winchester is now about $75/ 20 rounds. It is also nice to know I CAN make my own ammo if I hafta.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy View Post
So let's not nit pick each outher
Just beacause I. Can't. Spell good dosent mean I can't reload and shoot well. So please be kind. To me a lefty thanks
thats what i said. it didnt help they dont care

reloading is as great as you want it to be

let no talents go unused

Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I started loading rifle looking for accuracy. I found it.
I also found i could load premium ammo for less money than standard factory loads cost.

I loaded pistol a little but then quit for a long time. Too much hassle on a single stage press and factory FMJ's could be had for about the same price as it would cost me to load.

Now that prices of 45acp have gotten so high and availability so low, I started loading pistol again.
It cost me around $40/100 for WWB when I could find it at Wallyworld. Bought a progressive press and started rolling my own back in april. I'm loading 230gr Precision brand coated lead bullets at a cost of approx $15.50/100... a savings of almost $25 per hundred! I could cut that price almost in half again using cast lead but the smoke issue bothers me a bit.
Since I started shooting competition I am going through 1000-1500 or more rounds of 45Acp per month. My progressive press paid for itself in just over a month and I never have to worry about having a shortage of available ammo again

Handloading Cost Calculator

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Because I don't trust some lazy union idiot to my life and deer.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I reload almost everything--it saves money but more importantly I can reload for the exact type of load I'm looking for. Examples: I reload my .45 ACP with 200gr plated lead with a light load of 231--they make great range rounds and are a joy to shoot. I also load light 12ga loads for skeet--7/8 ounce lead--they are my main 12ga skeet load, and again very pleasant to shoot. I reload 28 gauge and .410 for skeet because the factory rounds are ridiculously high priced. Plus I enjoy it, and you can really learn a lot about rounds and performance by reloading.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"