Why I like Rotary Tumbling

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Why I like Rotary Tumbling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Default Why I like Rotary Tumbling

The six cases on the left were cleaned using my old vibratory tumbler. The six cases on the right were using my new Thumler's rotary tumbler with steel cleaning media, soap, Lemi-Shine, and water. See how much cleaner the rotary cases are? I love how the inside and the primer pockets have no black left on them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

I think the soap and water had more to do with it.

How do you ensure all the moisture is gone??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 479 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Your brass looks really nice. I've been reloading for years. When I was a young man (40 years ago) I used a Lee loader, can't get more basic than that. I reloaded .38 spl with that for many years with good results. At that time I never cleaned my brass, just reamed out the primer pockets every now and then. Now I use a Franklin vibrator cleaner and my brass looks like your pictures on the left, clean, but not as pretty as your washed version. Since I shoot reloads almost exclusively from revolvers and semis, I'm curious how clean does the brass really need to be? good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
Your brass looks really nice. I've been reloading for years. When I was a young man (40 years ago) I used a Lee loader, can't get more basic than that. I reloaded .38 spl with that for many years with good results. At that time I never cleaned my brass, just reamed out the primer pockets every now and then. Now I use a Franklin vibrator cleaner and my brass looks like your pictures on the left, clean, but not as pretty as your washed version. Since I shoot reloads almost exclusively from revolvers and semis, I'm curious how clean does the brass really need to be? good luck
in the old days folks just wiped the grit off the outside of the case deprimed and reloaded. even that isnt really needed if you dont care about messing up your dies.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandog56
The six cases on the left were cleaned using my old vibratory tumbler. The six cases on the right were using my new Thumler's rotary tumbler with steel cleaning media, soap, Lemi-Shine, and water. See how much cleaner the rotary cases are? I love how the inside and the primer pockets have no black left on them.
Very nice.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
I see 3 of them that have black in the primer pockets

Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
Shiny brass is easier to pick out of the grass

Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #8

Default vibrator user here

Been using one for years*but yer right..them cases you did on the rotary are clean..but at what cost in time and mess?? Pray tell us the steps.

My old vibrator is so simple and I been using brass from it for...well..since 1970 at least.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Been using one for years*but yer right..them cases you did on the rotary are clean..but at what cost in time and mess?? Pray tell us the steps.

My old vibrator is so simple and I been using brass from it for...well..since 1970 at least.
I have a tread going on the same topic. The first step is deprime all the cases.

Loading the tumbler is easy and only takes 5 mins. Runs for about 2 hours.

I dump the water and separate the pins/rinse the brass with a separator I got from cabelas which takes more time to get everything by the sink and put back away than to do.

Then the brass sits in the sun for 3 or so hours.

I guess I'm not really worried about having one case be damp because I have 2 or 3 clean batches to use first

Old 07-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #10

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybigguns View Post
I see 3 of them that have black in the primer pockets

Did you see I said 3 on the left, old vibratory tumbler cleaned, 3 on the right, rotary?