why do you reload?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > why do you reload?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default why do you reload?

I know it cost more today to reload then back in 89 when I first started,but I like it and its fun the scale I have keeps me on my toes!!! so I check every powder charge it seems like every 5 times I have to reajust but thats ok,at lest I get better ammo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7790 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9782

Do you calibrate your scale with weights?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Better cheaper ammo. I can make match grade ammo way cheaper than similar shelf ammo.

I can crank out bulk ammo for handguns or rifles if i want. Some rounds i shoot like 458 winmag are close to 80$ for 20 i can make it for about 5$ per 20.

I also enjoy reloading.

Its not always easy in wis to find a good deal on bulk ammo shipping general destroys savings.

For rounds like 460 rowland i can make it any power leevel i want from 45acp levels to full power. Just more bullet options when was the last time you could buy 7.62x54R using 168 grn bthp or nosler partition for hunting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #4

A box of 50 .45's from Freddy's is about 30 bucks here. I reload with plated bullets for about 10.
For me, cheap range ammo is a good thing. It's a fun way to spend an evening too.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Better cheaper ammo. I can make match grade ammo way cheaper than similar shelf ammo.

I can crank out bulk ammo for handguns or rifles if i want. Some rounds i shoot like 458 winmag are close to 80$ for 20 i can make it for about 5$ per 20.

I also enjoy reloading.

Its not always easy in wis to find a good deal on bulk ammo shipping general destroys savings.

For rounds like 460 rowland i can make it any power leevel i want from 45acp levels to full power. Just more bullet options when was the last time you could buy 7.62x54R using 168 grn bthp or nosler partition for hunting.
I have a Dillon beam scale

Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #6

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 921

For me it all started with trying to feed my Arisaka and Win 95 (in .30 US).. Now its getting where I like reloading just as much as shooting! (Maybe a little more! ) Its a interesting hobby to say the least!.... I really like "reforming" .30-06 into 7.7 Jap..

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
I have a Dillon beam scale
Ive got one of those rcbs chargemaster scales that auto meter powder charges.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First is because I really enjoy it and the satisfaction that I know my ammo will be as accurate as it can and tailored to my gun. Second is because I do own and fire a number of wildcat cartridges and you just can't run down to the local gun shop and buy it off the shelf. Lastly, because I can.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #9

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a really fun hobby and I enjoy getting the best I can out of my rifles by working up the perfect load.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #10

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
I check every powder charge it seems like every 5 times I have to reajust but thats ok,at lest I get better ammo.
That doesn't sound right. I would hope that you'd be within a tenth of a grain of your original load after ten throws or so.