Why Cant i have a two shot grouping ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Why Cant i have a two shot grouping ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

I have a DPMS A4 and it will shoot 5 shot moa or better with hand loads. The 2 loads I worked up are 24.8gr H335 and 25.8gr Varget. Both with Hornady 55 gr fmj. The load you are using was not consistent. The only mod to mine was I replaced the front sight with a quad gas block. The H335 load was delivering .5 moa in a Savage 10.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
Get a bolt action rifle and then you can shoot 5 shot sub MOA groups all day long.
ct
I Do , my fav is my Sake 243, . 1/2 MOA all day and my Thompson 270 making a bolt like those to shoot 1 MOA is easy making a Ar15 is not as simple that why I like em the challenge peacem
Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #13

Default Moa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
And ct, many of today's modern semi's will hold accuracy on a level easily comparable to modern bolt actions. Many, MANY, ARs are capable of sub MOA accuracy, yet "sub MOA" is still a marketing tag line for selling bolt action hunting rifles.

And even then, I've rarely seen a shooter more accurate than their tool. It happens though.

You may be right. I have read about and heard of such accuracy from these semi autos, but I have never personally seen it. I shoot at the local range every Friday morning. I see many many semi autos and many many of their targets. I have yet to see one MOA group. But then again, the semi auto guys where I shoot are happy if they can keep their shots in a 10" circle, and the more shots the merrier for them. They don't care about shooting tight groups or about reloading for accuracy. If they reload at all it is for quantity not quality. With a lot of tweaking and patience, I suppose sub MOA accuracy is possible with one of those semi autos. But, I seriously doubt it can be repeated often. But then again, both of my Ruger #1's (one of them custom) shoot sub MOA consistantly, so anything is possible. BTW, MOA is a measurement, not a marketing tool.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Number 1- you don't have a target rifle. That's a "service rifle".

I built a "target" AR about 5 years ago. RRA receiver set, bolt and LPK with 2 stage match trigger. LMT SOPMOD stock, yhm free float 4 rail. Put a cheap Vulcan 16" .970 stainless fluted barrel. And a cheap 12x Bushnell Scope.

It would put 62gr Wolf into .400 groups at 100 yards.
My new barrel is a WOA 18" SPR. It runs MK262 at .375-.400 groups all day long.

Long story short, your gun isn't really setup to do what you're expecting. I'm assuming here, but maybe you don't have a great technique for precision shooting yet either.

Breathing control, form, trigger control... It takes practice.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Well I may not be the best shot but with my Five Ar15's I can shoot sub with everyone. Now that's with my hand loads so you don't have To have a target rifle to shoot sub MOA . a service rifle is just more picky with the loads and doesn't have the number and range of sub MOA loads that a target rifle has . Since I shoot sub all the time I can't blame it on my skills . Back to my question why on majority of my reloads does it shoot two side by side and the third off ? I think it's been answered tho. Heat . Thanks peace

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ribbs,

Is the third shot higher or ?????
The heat factor is a very good possibility. We had a sniper rifle years ago that would literally drill em at 100 yards. But if we fired the fourth round it would be an inch off all the others sub 1 MOA group!
It seems you have good ammunition or you would not be getting the 1/2 MOA out of the first two. Also another factor is the wind. A slight gust that may not be felt at the firepoint but is possible down range. That can certainly effect the 223/5.56 at 100 yards. But as one of the guys mentioned. I would allow the gun to cool for a few minutes between shots!
AND DO NOT LOOK AT THE BULLET IMPACTS ON THE TARGET! THE AIM POINT ONLY! If you have a good rest if you think that is bothering you turn the scope power down for example. So you can more focus on your aim point and not be distracted by the bullet holes in the target. We are all human and it happens to be mentaly trying much harder for that 3rd or 5th shot since you know you have a H of a group going for you! Been there and done that! Of course with iron sights sun on the front sight post can change things also from one shot to another.

Some pointers in Order:
Good Rest
Aiming Consideration
Heat Consideration
Wind Consideration
Light Consideration

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #17

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Shooting reloads doesn't automatically mean you're going to get good groups

Bug hole groups require extensive load development.

Bullet weight
Seating depth
leade length
Powder
Charge weight
Primers
Good dies.

You can develop a load for weeks and only get a 3/4-1" group, just to change primers and have them shrink to .375"

Seating from .010-.015 off the lands can make a huge difference.

I'm not doubting your ability, just providing possible answers

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?