Why are ammo prices so high? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Why are ammo prices so high?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"So... What is it"

All of the above, plus more, perhaps especially greed along the chain; meaning it's not a single issue problem. And considering the cost of production operations and satisfying government regulators opposed to new companies of any sort delay and increase costs that an old style capitalist reaction to excessive profiteering allowed.

Today's govie regulators are indeed jerks to established businesses but they also virutally assure established manufactoring companies that no competitors can possibly arise - didn't you get that in your college economics classes?

Last edited by 1hole; 04-29-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #12

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
perhaps especially greed along the chain
This really cheeses me off.

Profit is good. Profit means there is an incentive to make products that I like, that I want, and that will make my life easier and more productive. Profit makes everything else works. Any business that does not try relentlessly to increase profits will eventually fail, making everyone lose their jobs. Serving the customer well brings profit.

If you believe the "profit motive" is evil, then you, my friend, are a marxist. You may just not realize it yet.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #13

Liked 421 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

those danm ceo's trying to make there bonuses biggeer again.....DANG THEM TO HECK!!!

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"If you believe the "profit motive" is evil, then you, my friend, are a marxist. You may just not realize it yet. "

You presume far too much but don't realize it yet; let me help. Please re-read my post and note that I didn't say (nor do I consider) the profit motive to be evil.

I do have the intelligence to recognise that some dealers will grasp any opportunity to stick it to their customers so it may be they who eventually go belly up rather than those dealers who do deal with their clientel fairly and accept a fair profit margin. But, bottom line, it's up to the customer to say if a dealer's asking too much for his products, no one will force us to buy anything against our will. (Well, no one but our 'liberal' politicians but ... THEY ARE MARXIST so far as central planning and control of the 'little people/workers' who are expected to quietly submit to their idea of a benevolent govenment's carefully planned utopia mandates or go straight to jail - just to be 'fair' you know.)

Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #15

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole
Today's govie regulators are indeed jerks to established businesses but they also virutally assure established manufactoring companies that no competitors can possibly arise - didn't you get that in your college economics classes?
Soooo it's the government's fault that brass is expensive and demand for shooting related products as risen? Missed the class that would lead me to that conclusion.

I also missed when they scrapped the idea that a fair day's work deserves a fair day's wage and when they redefined success in business as when you wring every last penny out of your customer.

I agree that copper has become more expensive because after I graduated college I became a builder and I buy a lot of copper products. The price of pure copper pipe and wire have not kept pace with the price bullets. Not by a long shot. And brass and lead are lesser metals.

More people may have ran out and bought guns after the last election but it does not mean that they can afford to shoot them. Times are tough and shooting is more expensive than ever. If you are telling me that shooting is more popular than ever don't tell me in the next breath that it's the government's fault. It not and it's ludicrous.

What if you woke up tomorrow and went to your paint supply store or your paper supply store and they told you that the cost of paper or paint just went up 50%. And all the other stores more or less did the same. You could not do a damn thing about it because they got you.

Now what if the gas companies did the same thing, citing the rising cost of exploration. Then they report record profits quarter after quarter. Do you feel got yet? You should.

I think that manufacturers of bullets probably keep prices artificially high because they make more money that way. People have not reached the pain threshold yet. They will continue to buy bullets at whatever price because in some way, shape or form they need to.

They got you.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5829 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 5308

This has nothing to do with corporate/CEO greed, and very little to do with inflation.

It's supply and demand.

China and India are developing at a frightening rate, and buying up all of the copper, tin, steel, lead and other resources that anyone will sell them.

This is also partly responsible for the huge increases in oil and coal prices. Even the Russians are having trouble manufacturing enough ammo to train their army due to cost of steel for cases.

As long as the "super boom" in development is going on in the world's two most populous countries, natural resource prices will remain high.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #17

Visit BlackGunammo.com They currently carry 5.56mm and 9mm. 7.62x51 is in production. My buddy works there and it is top shelf ammo. M193 ball is $160 per 500 rounds. My brothers 75yd target is below. This was mostly rapid fire.

Last edited by sct1886; 05-12-2012 at 02:00 AM.