Why all the craziness with .22LR ammo?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Why all the craziness with .22LR ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Why all the craziness with .22LR ammo?

Why is .22LR ammo so popular and in demand right now? The ammo hoarders and scalpers are cleaning it off the shelves as fast as they can. The manufacturers claim they are producing as much as ever, even more right now. Are people afraid the "government" will be coming after the .22LR ammo? Do some of them think they need it to defend themselves and loved ones? What is causing the .22LR hysteria? I have talked to several retailers in this area and they all have the same story. It is the same people waiting in line to get it. Many of them have been seen reselling it at greatly inflated prices. What are your thoughts? Please, don't just simply say the government is causing this; specifically explain how.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 08-25-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8986 Times on 4850 Posts
Likes Given: 18999

Default Why all the craziness with .22LR ammo?

What began as panic buying and hoarding evolved into supply and demand inflation. Resellers are buying up the stock and leaving the public no alternative but to pay their exaggerated asking prices or go without. Some retailers have attempted to curb the scalpers by limiting ammunition purchases, but they easily bring friends and family and each grabs the limit and leave the shelves bare. They even schedule their purchases around stocking times; a luxury working folk don't have.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #3

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Default Because.....

...When that witch Hillary finally announces she will run for the White House (...and she will, she and her supporters are that self absorbed and dillusional!!).... it will make this last panic seem like a Sunday afternoon picnic!!!
The horders are a) hedging their bets for another price-gouge fest and/or b) do not want to be caught blind sided again!!!

God as my witness... as a registered independent voter... I will no anything within legal electorial bounds to keep that woman from even sniffing the nomination.. much less letting her pant-suited wide @$$ back into the Oval Office as the (official) one in charge next time!!!

...In the meantime, I'm loading in on ammo and hi-capacity mags whenever finances allow.
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

NC1760 I understand what you are saying but I think acting on one's personal beliefs and passions are different than plain old-fashioned greed. The scalpers are looking for a quick buck, plain and simple. In their pursuit of the almighty dollar they don't give much thought to politics or personal beliefs. They just want to get their hands on something they can make money with.
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
...When that witch Hillary finally announces she will run for the White House (...and she will, she and her supporters are that self absorbed and dillusional!!).... it will make this last panic seem like a Sunday afternoon picnic!!!
The horders are a) hedging their bets for another price-gouge fest and/or b) do not want to be caught blind sided again!!!

God as my witness... as a registered independent voter... I will no anything within legal electorial bounds to keep that woman from even sniffing the nomination.. much less letting her pant-suited wide @$$ back into the Oval Office as the (official) one in charge next time!!!

...In the meantime, I'm loading in on ammo and hi-capacity mags whenever finances allow.
Wait a minute.....Didn't I hear this about Obama six years ago? By now we were supposed to be bankrupt, fighting off blue helmets, our guns were outlawed, Obama should have cemented his dictatorship and elections banned, we should all be living in bunkers in the mountains and the S should have hit the F years ago and dried on the ground by now.

The .22 ammo shortage is a self inflicted wound, perpetuated by the paranoid, the greedy and the dopes that buy from them. I hope we don't drag ourselves through another gun and ammo panic. When the hoarding stops the shelves will fill.

Hilary is going to run and get the nomination. If the Republicans run someone that the voters won't buy, she will be elected, so we may as well panic now and beat the rush.

I will, however, remind you, that the Congress will still be split with a probable Republican majority in both houses, the Supreme court is not going to change drastically, so, Hilary will be no more successful in her 2A interpretation than Obama has been.

Carl Sagan
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Well said Chainfire, well said. You have hit the nail squarely on the head. This situation is very much a self-inflicted wound. I stood in line one time to get .22LR ammo and heard the grumbling of the conspiracy theorists. THEY are doing this to themselves. May cooler heads prevail!
tonydewar Likes This 
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Wait a minute.....Didn't I hear this about Obama six years ago? By now we were supposed to be bankrupt, fighting off blue helmets, our guns were outlawed, Obama should have cemented his dictatorship and elections banned, we should all be living in bunkers in the mountains and the S should have hit the F years ago and dried on the ground by now.

The .22 ammo shortage is a self inflicted wound, perpetuated by the paranoid, the greedy and the dopes that buy from them. I hope we don't drag ourselves through another gun and ammo panic. When the hoarding stops the shelves will fill.

Hilary is going to run and get the nomination. If the Republicans run someone that the voters won't buy, she will be elected, so we may as well panic now and beat the rush.

I will, however, remind you, that the Congress will still be split with a probable Republican majority in both houses, the Supreme court is not going to change drastically, so, Hilary will be no more successful in her 2A interpretation than Obama has been.
First point... This was NOT said about Obama 6 years ago... It WAS said about Hillary. Proof is that she is so despised even within elements inside her own party that she couldn't sew up the nomination and was upstaged by a (pun intended here) "dark horse" ..... This time around there is no one standing in her way. Do I know what the future holds... NOPE... but ANYONE is better than her... Even that useless lame duck Jimmy Carter wannabe with a tan we have now!!

Second point.. I agree that the shortage IS self inflicted. I refused to pay the $25 for a box of 50 round Wildcat that Gander Mnt wanted at the height of the last panic. But now my local Ma & Pa have plenty of 22lr for $4 for 50... and if my shooting buddies need any I'm more than happy to pick some up on the way home from work (still a limit of 5 boxes per customer per day though...) ...and if at the range should some poor soul need some right then and there.. I sell it to them for $5 a box (cover my gas cost... which is another gripe of mine!!!)... and if we all started looking out for each other, this situation would end sooner than rather than later.

..as for the Federal government in general... I have no illusions... The only faith I have in them is to spend my money VERY POORLY and in great amounts!!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #8

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I don't know. 22 LR is available agin. Not as commonly, or in the quantities as before, but available. What I'm more interested in now is 22 MAG. Not a box at any store I know of. Very little online.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2473 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Saw a brick of 22 for the first time since Sandy Hook when I picked up my LC9s last Friday. He had about 10 bricks on the shelf. The owner had 10 cases come in the day before and that was all that was left.

I bought one and texted my shooting buddies.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

picked up 6 box's of American eagle today at Dicks for $2.49 a box but the box's were "40" count not 50. so it looks like the ammo makers are getting in on the less for more boat.