Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Why .22`s are going up in price (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/why-22-s-going-up-price-102697/)

BtDoctur 01-13-2014 02:51 AM

Why .22`s are going up in price

From a gunauction site I visit that had the Bucket of Bullets case of ammo for auction. Average selling store price is about $63.00 a bucket .Times that by 4
and its around $252.00 .This guy bid $690.00 for the case. That's $172.50 per bucket.
THAT IS ONE INSANE BIDDER THAT WILL NEVER SELL AT ANY PROFIT.

John_Deer 01-13-2014 03:04 AM

That is 3x the normal price. If someone is making good money and they really wanted the ammo that is no big deal. Hell, if I had a good night playing cards and I had no 22 LR ammo I would have bought it. You have to figure your gas and time. If you make several 50 mile plus trips looking for ammo, end up late for work a couple times you have paid that much for ammo, just not all at once.

SSGN_Doc 01-13-2014 03:30 AM

I bought a brick of Federal .22 for $5.30/ 50 rd box by the time shipping figured in. Idiots who pay as much as that dude did are definitely not helping to get the price back to normal.

Bayou 01-14-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1481383)
I bought a brick of Federal .22 for $5.30/ 50 rd box by the time shipping figured in. Idiots who pay as much as that dude did are definitely not helping to get the price back to normal.

About a month ago, I stumbled across a 555 count brick of Win LR. at the local WallyWorld. The price was what these things should be sold for - $21.77.

Of course, it's a free market and any seller is entitled to sell for whatever he can get from a willing buyer........

I'm in no pinch for 22s, so no inflated prices for me.....Those sellers can keep their stock.......

Bayou

eatmydust 01-14-2014 04:09 PM

Ridiculous price. The fact that someone is bidding that high is a sign of one of two things, either the market is still ridiculously tight and some folks will pay anything OR the seller has a shill working with them on the bidding.

nitestalker 01-14-2014 04:09 PM

I just bought a tin can of Federal bulk 325 rds for $17.99 @. Our LGS is getting .22 ammo in every week now.:)

vincent 01-14-2014 08:04 PM

Simple supply and demand, you have a LOT of new shooters, as well as the panic buyers...

The supply has remained static while the demand has risen exponentially. It's been happening for a few years, but only now are we seeing the effects...

It'll level off (hopefully) sooner than later as the manufacturers are cranking them out as fast as they can.

I hope, but doubt, that prices will come back to 'normal' levels someday...

If someone is willing to overpay for an item, then that's what it's worth...technically...

I haven't bought any .22 in a couple of years, haven't needed to, but I always have an eye out for it and it's pretty dry in this area...

wittmeba 01-14-2014 08:37 PM

As eatmydust suggests this may be bogus bidding. The seller may also be the bidder and just trying to inflate the market.

You can't fight the true effects of Supply and Demand. It does really work.

nitestalker 01-15-2014 01:16 AM

I was at the Golden Spike Gun show in Ogden, Utah this weekend. The "Hoarders" were trying to sell off all kinds of ammo and powder etc. There were dozens of CPM Garands and AR-15s for sale. Prices will drop, demand and sanity are replacing panic buying. ;)

wittmeba 01-15-2014 02:40 PM

In the January 2014 issue of American Rifleman there is an article about the ammo shortage. I glanced over it but nothing to write home about. Lots of new shoorter - especially women - up like 46% over previous year.