Who uses 222 rem and 7.08mm rem?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Who uses 222 rem and 7.08mm rem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Who uses 222 rem and 7.08mm rem?

Hi
Who uses these two calibers?
In France the 223rem and 308win are classified as military so that it takes almost as 222rem and 7.08 rem in substitution.
Do you also use these ammo, or is it typical for us?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

The .222 Rem is an outstandingly accurate caliber but is overshadowed by the slightly higher velocities of the .223. Where once popular it is dying out. A few die hard holdouts still use the "triple duece", but not that many.

The 7mm-08 is an outstanding round. Short action and out performs the 7 X 57. This is round that is alive and well.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #3

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I shot .222 rem about 38 years ago, up until my rifle was stolen

Old 07-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My 7MM 08 is a great Deer Rifle.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #5

Default 222 Rem

Up until the PPC round came on the scene back in the 70s, the 222 held most 100 yd bench rest records and has won countless matches. One of the most accurate cartridges ever developed and although not seen at many BR competitions any more I still own and shoot a couple of 'em and as a varminter out to 200 yards, hard to beat, and with far less of a muzzle blast than for example a 22-250, a fun cartridge to shoot.

F. Prefect

Old 08-16-2009, 04:06 AM   #6

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have two .222's and one .223. Super accurate for small game. Either one will take deer also in survival situation.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My very 1st centerfire rifle was chambered for the .222 back in 1972. If it hadn't burnt up in the housefire I'd still have it. My daughter and I both have 7mm08 rifles and IMO it is arguably the single best allround whitetail cartridge ever designed. Extremely accurate, soft recoiling, and it performs wayy outside what it's small size suggests.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
My very 1st centerfire rifle was chambered for the .222 back in 1972. If it hadn't burnt up in the housefire I'd still have it. My daughter and I both have 7mm08 rifles and IMO it is arguably the single best allround whitetail cartridge ever designed. Extremely accurate, soft recoiling, and it performs wayy outside what it's small size suggests.
I gave some thought to having a Rem 40-X chambered for that round when I had to replace a barrel several years ago as normally if the "parent" cartridge is capable of bench rest accuracy, necked up or necked down versions will in many cases do so as well, but finally decided to go with the proven PPC round.

The 6mm PPC (or the 22 for that matter) will drop a deer in their tracks with a well placed shot but the 7mm 08 would be my choice if I was using it primarily for deer as it has the advantage in muzzle and down range energy.

F. Prefect

Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I have a Remington model 7 in .222 Rem. It was given to me by my dad... it probably won't be a .222 for long though, he wants me to get it rechambered for .223.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #10

Default .222? .223?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I have a Remington model 7 in .222 Rem. It was given to me by my dad... it probably won't be a .222 for long though, he wants me to get it rechambered for .223.
They're both excellent rounds and from a practical standpoint, the ballistics are basically identical. The .222 for some reason has always been touted as being the more accurate of the two, but personally, I suspect if benchrest shooters had built as many 15 pound benchrest guns around the .223, it would have won it's share of matches, but almost all .223 you see are in the AR-15 "style" semi-automatic weapons. But it's really become a mute point as neither cartridge can stay with the short fat 22 or 6mm PPC or Rem BR cartridges from the standpoint of "pure" accuracy.

If it's a bolt action rifle, purely for aesthetic reasons, I would stay with the Triple Deuce, or if you are looking for pure accuracy go with PPC or Rem BR. All are excellent varminters with the .222 and .223 having an effective range of about 250 yards on small varmints, the PPC or Rem BR will reach out a bit further with their larger capacity case and higher muzzle velocity. But I believe in shootin' what you're most comfortable with, and all 4 are capable of tack driving accuracy in bolt action rifles.

F. Prefect

Last edited by fprefect; 08-25-2009 at 01:50 AM.