Who else has tried IMR 3031?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Who else has tried IMR 3031?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Who else has tried IMR 3031?

I finaly started reloading 223 after getting all the componets together. I landed on 3031 as it was the first powder I found that I had data on. It has worked well, letting me hit my target and working fine in my rifle. The only problem I have had is getting it to meter. The last batch I did, I ended up weighing every throw, and was able to use about half of the throws. I can make this work, but I will not put the 223 on my progressive unlit I find something that will meter better. I had charges that were +- .6 grains, on a load that had a w.5 grain range min to max. I think i will start looking for a new powder now, as I have about a half pound left anyhow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 3173

Quote:
I finaly started reloading 223 after getting all the componets together. I landed on 3031 as it was the first powder I found that I had data on. It has worked well, letting me hit my target and working fine in my rifle.
i started reloading the .223 in the mid 1960s. i tried every powder suitable for use in the .223; IMR 3031 was the best. i see no reason to change: IMR 3031 is used exclusively in my .223 reloads.

All my charges are weighed.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #3

Liked 286 Times on 201 Posts

I use it in .308, I measure every charge

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

3031 is a very good powder. Versitile and accurate. It does not meter well at all. Weighing charges is almost mandatory, even in the Dillon. I use it exclusively for the .45-70. For progressives stick to something like BLC-2, W-748 or (if you prefer an extruded powder) Varget. Varget meters much better than the old style stick powders like 3031.

I am surprised they have not come up with a Short Cut version. I like H4831SC for Magnums

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #5

I use IMR3031 for several different cartridges including the .300 Savage, .35 Remington, 8x57, and the 9.3x57. I weigh every charge. It really doesn't take much time, especially if you use the Lee powder dippers.
ct

Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Without knowing what powder measure you are using, it is hard to recommend. H-335 works well as well as H-4895.

Have fun and stay safe.
Jim

Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

its a good powder but time consuming to load accurately with. i use my rcbs chargemaster for the big stick powders. 3031 is best for big magnums or things like the 45-70. it compresses well

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #8

The powder works very well, but it is not working with the old pacific powder drop that I have, and I don't expect it to work with the powder drop that came with my hornady ap. It may be that I will stick with it for now, but I think I would do better to hand measure the powder, as I weighed every drop and about half were off. If I had planned on this, I could have had my powder trickler ready to fix the light charges, and maybe scoop a bit out of the heavy ones, but I will have to change something. If I am going to load 223 on my ap, I will have to find a different powder.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
The powder works very well, but it is not working with the old pacific powder drop that I have, and I don't expect it to work with the powder drop that came with my hornady ap. It may be that I will stick with it for now, but I think I would do better to hand measure the powder, as I weighed every drop and about half were off. If I had planned on this, I could have had my powder trickler ready to fix the light charges, and maybe scoop a bit out of the heavy ones, but I will have to change something. If I am going to load 223 on my ap, I will have to find a different powder.
its the nature of stick powders.

w748 rl15 varget blc2 are good powders for the 223. they meter pretty good with 748 being the easiest to meter.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its the nature of stick powders.

w748 rl15 varget blc2 are good powders for the 223. they meter pretty good with 748 being the easiest to meter.
My guess was it had to do with the stick, but I have never used stick powder before, so I wanted to put it out there for some help. I found som 748 last night, but wanted to research a bit before getting anything. I got the 3031 cause it was on the shelf. Thanks for the input Jon and everyone else.