where do I start?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > where do I start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default where do I start?

Wanting to get into reloading, what is the best set up. Like to be efficient and accurate. I don't know-- is it possible to do pistol, rifle and shotgun with one outfit? Thanks for your experience and suggestions. My comment is considering the possibility of an Obam presidency and the inflation of raw materials and fuel, reloading is a really good investment. I think they will try and make ammunition as hard as possible to get. Thanks for your suggestions.

Liberty

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

check out Dillon Precision (I think) progressive rifle and pistol reloader. MEC for shotgun shells. luck.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #3

I would never ever suggest a progressive press for a beginner turret yes but not a full blown progressive .

Shotgun is a separate deal while rifle and pistol can be done on one press with different Die sets .

Go to the Lee website by searching for Lee reloading they have instructions there for many of their products "Including short videos" which will help to give you a rough idea what's what .

All presses can turn out the same quality of ammo it's actually more of matching the correct components with what each particular gun likes than a function of a certain press and Die set .

Lee equipment will work just fine and save you on startup costs and will last for many years especially if you buy one of their new Classic Cast presses that are very strong .

The Lee reloading manual is the most inexpensive yet has all of the information as the more expensive ones "At least where the reloading process itself is concerned" and yes I have a couple of Speer's , the ABC's of reloading and a few other publications to compare it to .

Always stay within a manuals minimum and max load and don't be stupid people blow up guns going both under and over these recommended loadings , under by creating a load that gets a bullet stuck in a barrel and then firing another round and over well thats pretty simple to figure out now isn't it ?

If you want specifics try PMing me or G21 the old boy sounds like he's been in the game quite awhile and knows his stuff pretty well and makes solid recommendations .

Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #4

You start by reading any one of the big four reloading manuals: 'The ABC's of Reloading, Seventh Edition'; 'The Speer Reloading Manual'; 'The Sierra Reloading Manual'; or, The Hornady Reloading Manual'. Don't feel overwhelmed; it's all good, very interesting, reading!

My first press was an RCBS, 'Rockchucker' - One of the big old super heavy ones. I still have it; the factory rebuilt it for me a few years ago; and it, actually, looks new! You can start with a progressive press; but, stay away from anything that's fully automated like my other press, a Dillon XL-650. (Which can be an automated nuisance to run.)

Beware, though! The press you begin with is - in all probability - going to be the same brand that you stay with for the rest of your life! My recommendation for a first press would be a Dillon 550-B. It's progressive; but, happily, it can be manually indexed.

Here's a video tutorial on how to use a 550-B:

XD Talk Video (I always knew the XD Forum would come in handy for something, someday!)

By the way, you aren't going to be saving any money; but, you'll learn a very great deal about what makes a gun go, 'bang'; and, reloading is a wonderfully relaxing hobby!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post

By the way, you aren't going to be saving any money; but, you'll learn a very great deal about what makes a gun go, 'bang'; and, reloading is a wonderfully relaxing hobby!

I have to strongly disagree with you here G21. I save a ton of money over factory ammo, especially match grade .223 ammo. I can reload match quality ammo for about 40% of the cost of factory ammo. The savings is even more significant now than it was just a year ago.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #6

Read a reloading manual as stated and buy any press you can afford reloading is not rocket science nothing to it

Old 08-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #7

I hear ya, RL! The remark is largely facetious. Sure, we all save money on the ammunition - That is when we have the time to reload it. Sometimes, I just have to farm my reloads out to trusted suppliers; otherwise I'd be reloading when I could be sleeping, or shooting, or something.

When I walk into our spare bedroom and see the entire room full of reloading equipment, (The custom bench, alone, cost more than $800.00!) I have to wonder what I've really saved over the years?

Somehow, when I finally, 'kick off' I don't see another shooter coming in here and offering my wife anywhere near the $4,500.00 worth of reloading equipment and crated ammunition that's sitting all over the room. My dual drum wet/dry brass tumbler, alone, is worth over $450.00. So, like I said; 'Where's the savings?'

Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #8

G21

Man you spent alot of money I been reloading long time and casting my own and make my own lube and all i have is 6 die sets hornady LNL progressive press a single stage rock chucker, tumbler , 6 bullet molds a furnace no where near 4500 bucks what the heck you have

Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #9

Ahhh, ...... More than you!

If what you've stated is all that you've got, then, you ain't got much - Including some rather basic, but very necessary, items. Only 6 die sets? My spare parts boxes for the XL-650 are probably worth the price of one of your presses, alone. (As a matter of fact, I'm sure they are!)

Old 08-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #10

G21 how many cals do you load for, parts for your 650 or more then everything I have , good grief . Your wife probably does have a fit thats alot of stuff I cant imagine what you have.