Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > When does reloading become cost effective?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

If you already had your reloading equipment and supplies like primers, bullets and powders, your saving a ton of money then buying over the counter bullets. If you are just getting started, it will take you some time to recoupe your cost of equipment and bullets. But I went ahead and bought all my stuff within the last two months and was lucky enough to find primers and bullets and powder for my .40 smith and wessen. I now have 2000 rounds and I've pretty much have broke even if I were to have bought them at Wal mart.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1633 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

As of now, I only reload 45 colt. It's definitely paid for itself.
Don't go all out ,on a fancy expensive progressive reloader. Start small, with 1 caliber. Learn & have fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #33

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Answer is simple. Right after you load the first round.

Just think of all the people that don't reload and flock to Walmart and other big box stores looking for ammo. The store managers look and say wow let's see what happens. Then that store is sols out of ammo, then you see all over gun forums "I can't find ammo anywhere!!!!!!!!!"

I have 10 shops with in an 45 mins of me in any direction. With 2 Walmart. Every gun shop has not raised their prices because they know people are going to flock to Walmart first and keep going back there for the "convience" factor. And also because they don't reload. I on the other hand walk into a gun shop, ask for 5k primers and 10 pounds of different powders, and they have them in stock, and have plenty more where that came from. Casings I find at the 4 ranges I'm a member of, from those Walmart shoppers(thank you, now I don't need to buy extra brass in)

Yes I realize not everyone has the space nor the funds to reload, but if you can pay twice the price for a box of shells, then you can put money back for a reloading setup.

If you have to do it at the kitchen table you would need a Lee Loader, primers, bullets, brass, powder, and a small scale. Just the bare bones to make 100 38spl would be about, 60 dollars. Not to bad, that is the price of 2 boxes that you have to drive from store to store to find.

I started out with nothing, but saving my pennies in between gun purchases, I now reload for over 15 different calibers. And have bought no factory ammo in over 15 yes. I have 3 different presses, and going to start casting bullets.

You can't rely on factory ammo to be there til the end of time, but you can buy components here and there for a really long time and have a special hobby.

Let me rephrase that, reloading isn't a special hobby, its an addiction!!!!!!! Lol. Stop buying factory ammo and roll your own.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Like Farmallcrew says ^^^^, the independence that reloading gives you is priceless. Lets you have the feeling that you are making your own and you don't have to be desperate. I was in a Bass Pro and they had .45 but I didn't buy any because I have plenty of reloads at home.

Dollars wise reloading can be an expensive hobby. I could have bought a high end Colt/Kimber 1911 with the money I have spent in the past 3 months on components and accessories for reloading.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #35

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

About 3 weeks ago

Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #36

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Reloading has saved me a bundle, I shoot some normally expensive to feed calibers including 7mm-08, 6.5x55, 270 WSM, and 44 magnum, factory ammo is way overpriced for those in general, but the real reason why I reload is accuracy and control. I have a few rifles that simply won't shoot anything out of a factory box but shoot remarkably well with my handloads, and I can tweak them how I like, if I want more speed I can tune my 6.5x55 250fps faster then factory using the same weight bullet without going overpressure, if I want a lighter recoil for a guest gun I can dial down some 120gr BTs to 2500fps and near zero recoil. The flexibility to load pretty much whatever you want is well worth it to me, saving a $1.50 a shot, and being able to taking pride in my work makes it a no brainier.
I paid $125 for my reloading kit some years ago, and I save at leased that much on every trip to the range with the volume of shooting I do, last trip out with my brother and SIL we figured it up, we saved about $400 reloading vs buying factory ammo.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 116

After one's initial investment into presses,scales, tooling and dies, and components, one can reload a less expensive round than buying factory.
That being said, you will end up spending more money by experimenting with different bullet wts., powders, primers, etc., finding your particular pet load for your firearm. I am still trying to find a pet load for my FA Model 83 in 500 WE. At over 3 bucks a pop for Grizzly factory cartridges, reloading is definitely a must. The factory fodder is full tilt large varmint busters and not pleasant to shoot more than a few rounds,, by reloading, I have the ability to adjust levels where it recoils like a .45ACP, which lets me practice more and develop better shooting. Off a bench the factory rounds are uncomfortable to say the least,, this is only one example of what reloading can give you as far as versatility and savings. Good shooting,

Jeff

Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1454 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

I found that when ammunition becomes expensive/unavailable, so do primers and perhaps other reloading supplies.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 764 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I found that when ammunition becomes expensive/unavailable, so do primers and perhaps other reloading supplies.
I know of a guy in a wheelchair and has a service dog that sells pencils and Chiclets on a street corner. If you say the secret word. and drop a properly folded Hamilton in his cup, and give his dog a colored milk bone. He'll give you a plastic bag that you open in your car

Become steel or get cut.
Vincine Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1454 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
I know of a guy in a wheelchair and has a service dog that sells pencils and Chiclets on a street corner. If you say the secret word. and drop a properly folded Hamilton in his cup, and give his dog a colored milk bone. He'll give you a plastic bag that you open in your car

It's amazing what they can train service dogs to do now-a-days!